Another S.L.O.W. problem?

ebusby

Cadet
Gentlemen,<br /> I have been soaking up all the posts related to the SLOW safety feature. I purchased an Evinrude 48 that I have only run a few times. When I test ran it it to buy the boat it had a slight miss at the top end (tach wasn't operating so I don't know exactly what RPM). Now it appears to be a victim of SLOW as soon as I start and try to run. After reading Beck's posts I think the problem might lie in the power pack. My pack (CD-2SL/6100 part # 585074) is located down low on the stbd engine case underneath the terminal strips. That seems to be where the tan wire terminates. I checked the wires coming from the flywheel and there is no tan wire going to there. Could the problem be a shorted tan wire in the power pack? It looks like it has seen better days.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Another S.L.O.W. problem?

I'd start by making sure the engine isn't really overheating. You should be able to hold your fingertips on the head for a few seconds without third degree burns. After you're satisified the engine is not hot, disconnect the tan wire at the terminal strip and see if it goes into S.L.O.W. If it does, the powerpack iz defective. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Also look carefully where the wiring harness makes a turn by the cylinderhead. Many of the 40-48-50hp blocks had a sharp edge that would cut into the wiring harness and cause all kinds of problems, but usually a SLOW situation.

nordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Billy Ern,<br /><br />if your engine goes into s.l.o.w. with the tan wire disconnected, the powerpack is defective.<br />Hooty analyzed that quite well before.<br />The reason for it might be moisture in the s.l.o.w. circuit causing leak currents.<br />Look at the wires coming out of the pack.<br />The have to be perfectly sealed within the polyurethane casting compound, which fills out the pack's backside, so no humidity might get in.<br />A further reason might be a defective component on the board (optoisolator triac) not allowing the circuit return to the s.l.o.w. off state (no reset, normally with restart).<br /><br />Nordy

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Sometimes the use of wrong sparkplugs, especially NGK, can make an engine go into SLOW from the electrical interference emminating from regular or resistor plugs. The engine needs a Champion " Q " series of sparkplug, most likely a QL77JC4 or a QL78YC depending on the year.

ebusby

Cadet

Thanks for all your input! Your info led me to suspect the powerpack and I have one on order ($83.00!). The old powerpack had gaps around the wires where they passed through the potting material so I'm sure it wasn't sealing very well. Should have it back together on Saturday and if it does the trick I will post again.

ebusby

Cadet

Just wanted to say that the powerpack was definetly the problem. Outboard runs like a new one. Thanks iboats for your help!<br /><br /> Billy Ern

nordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello round,<br /><br />I think gaps around the wires are a typical failure of all powerpacks.<br />Reason: Softening agents are coming out of the ensulation material with the time so gaps will appear around the wires.<br />Unsufficient degreasing of the wires in this area will deteriorate the problem.<br /><br />Moisture can now easily get into the circuit causing malfunction.<br /><br />Nordy