Another Quick Question 305 merc '99 valve

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, Im tightening down the valve lifters and brought the number1 cylinder to TDC and tightend the first two valves/lifters (removed the wobble and tighted one full turn more). Then I realized that I did not know the sequence the valves went in after that (you tighten both on cylinder 1 then one or the other on different sides). And intake and exaust trade off at odd intervals on the heads. <br /><br />Does anyone know the sequence the valves go in on boths sides? I looked all through the manual, but they did not mention it anywhere.<br /><br />I hope to finish this tonight so any help would be greatly appreciated<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mike

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another Quick Question 305 merc '99 valve

Best way is to do one as you described.<br />if the valve covers are off, rotate motor untill both valves are closed, tighten until the pushrod no longer spins, go 1 turn more.<br />For sb chevy 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

ah, cool didnt think of that. I'll give it a shot<br /><br />THnaks

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I did that and I found that some of the valve thingys move a bit when they are in another position. just a little, but I dont think they should.<br /><br />As I rotated the engine a quarter turn I adjusted each one you said, but as I checked the valves I had already done, some moved a little. Should I go back and adjust those further?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike