Another question

Kcsteve4

Cadet
I have always had I/Os and am thinking of switching to a OB. What are the advantages of the one over the other? I am sure there are other threads about this but I searched and couldn't find anything. Probably not asking the right question in search. I am going to a boat show in KC next weekend and I might pull the trigger then. Not wanting to start a fight just wanting as much info as I can get before I buy.

Steve
NO boat
Stilwell Ks

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another question

my personal choice would be outboard 100%, reasons
outboards are most often lighter per unit of hp, this gap is narrowed somewhat with the new 4 stroke outboards.
space the I/O design puts the engine inside your boat and takes up room.
access you can easily get all around an outboard, the engine on an I/O most often requires some contorted position to work on.
lack of U-joints outboards dont have u-joints to fail.
lack of hole in transom this is a biggie for me with an outboard you dont have to worry about a big hole in your transom.
heavier per unit of horsepower

that said

I/Os have some benifits
non mixed fuel (4 stroke outboards are addressing this)
many parts replaced easily with a trip to automotive store
auto mechanics more willing to work on them if a marine mech not to be found.

That said I prefer outboards, some prefer inboards, others will likely give there two cents.
suggest you use what you are most comfortable with.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Lighter,simpler design,more reasonable weight,the 2 stroke outboard is purpose designed to run at the required rpm,better handling,Simpler seasonal preparation.
Give the Evinrude Etec a close look.No break in period,
no service for 3 years or 300 hours,fewer less complicated service intervals.

Kcsteve4

Cadet

I have looked at the E-Tec However neither the Beeny or Manitou dealer equip there boats with Evinrude. Benny - Yamaha Manitou - Suzuki. I have spoke to both of them and they do not seem willing to put a Evinrude on.
I wonder if I can purchase the Evinrude motor separetly. Has anyone ever done this.
I would imagine I can get a better deal by purchasing boat and motor together.

Steve

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great answers above. While I/O's are great for runabouts etc., I would never have one in a pontoon for the negative points listed above.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I forget whose it is, but one of the signatures on here says "date an I/O but marry an outboard". I agree, especially when it comes to a pontoon boat, and apparently most pontoon boat manufacturers do too. I won't restate what's already been said regarding comparison/contrast of the two, but I will say don't get too hung up on the brand of the power plant. Those E-Tecs are way out of my tax bracket so I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've never heard anything other than rave reviews. That said, you'll have to look far and wide to find anyone with a low opinion of Yammies or Suzies. PM Silvertip if you want specific thoughts on Suzies.

brumbyvet

Seaman Apprentice

It is alot easier to adjust outboard height in order to dial in motor for top performance. Most I/O pontoons have very cramped engine compartments making routine maintenance a real pain.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some of use learn the hard way,, An the i/o cost more to parts an fixing them,, o/b lot better an cheaper to run an work on,,