Another question about disabling oil injection

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 V150 xr2. The Oil injection system is working fine, but I have a short in the wiring or a problem in the warning module causing the alarm to go off intermittently. I know it is not a mechanical failure as I can make the alarm go off by wiggling the wires going to the oil pump rotation sensor.

I have decided to just bypass the oil injection and premix for my peace of mind. Can I not just leave the pump in place and disconnect the wiring and hoses? I know it will likely cause the pump to seize, but who cares? If the pump seizes, the worst that could happen is that the plastic gear inside the motor would get chewed up, but what would it matter? Is it really worth it to buy the block-off kit?

Thoughts?

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another question about disabling oil injection

If the pump seizes, the worst that could happen is that the plastic gear inside the motor would get chewed up, but what would it matter?

Look at it this way - would you take one of those nylon gears, saw all the teeth off it with a bandsaw, then running down the lake at full throttle throw the pieces into the carbs and let them get sucked in?​

It don't matter if the pieces of that gear is "only" plastic - it's some hard stuff, about like little pieces of gravel. When you have to split the crankcase because of a broken reed block you'll wish you would've put the pump block-off plug in.
--
Chris​

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Another question about disabling oil injection

point taken.

THe part number I have found is 43453. This is good for all V blocked Mercurys?