Another Perspective on Iraq

aspeck

Staff member
I am sure you are saddened to hear of the escalation of violence in Iraq, but have you noticed the targets, and have you noticed the #'s involved? Why are there so many at the police and army recruiting places? Hummm, maybe the Iraqis are tired of the insurgents and are lining up to wipe them out. The insurgents are scared, and trying to nip the new wave of recruits in the bud. If this is the case, I would think it is only going to anger more Iraqis and the US is going to find more and more help in getting rid of the insurgents so our troups can come home.<br /><br />Just a thought - maybe the new wave of violence shows we are winning after all? What do you think?

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Another Perspective on Iraq

At some point the Iraqi people have to get fed up with the terrorists and do something about it. What is odd to me is that these radical Islamists are targeting and killing other Muslims, an act strictly prohibited in the Koran, yet it is NEVER reported that way.

KaGee

Admiral

From the reports of our actions over the weekend and yesterday, these "insurgents" keep coming in from Syria.<br /><br />How long until we end up doing something about it?<br /><br />Side note: How many virgins are left anyway? These guys have a big surprise coming!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hate to have to disagree with you, but the reason why so many young people sign up for the forces there is ,because it is the only jobs available.Given the high desertion rate there are always plenty of spots to fill.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

With deep respect to any one who has lost a family member or friend in the line of duty.<br /> <br />Maybe the insurgents finally realized that kidnapping, torturing, and killing, relatively small numbers of the "enemy" won’t drive them away. So they redirect their attacks to an easier target. Hoping to rally public opinion against the forces, (after all if they weren’t here we wouldn’t have to do this) driving out the “enemy” they can not defeat themselves.<br /><br />Then again, ya gotta ask yourself how screwed up do you have to be to believe that by killing your own country men you can turn the rest of them agenst the forces that freed them.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> Hate to have to disagree with you, but the reason why so many young people sign up for the forces there is ,because it is the only jobs available.Given the high desertion rate there are always plenty of spots to fill.
With jobs scarce here in the midwest, I was curious what a insurgent makes per week, provided of course he lives the week. Any mediacl benefits? :p

D

DJ

Hate to have to disagree with you, but the reason why so many young people sign up for the forces there is ,because it is the only jobs available.Given the high desertion rate there are always plenty of spots to fill.<br />
I respectfully say: BS! What a load.<br /><br />Freedom is not cheap, nor, easy.<br /><br />What we have done is FREE people to kibitz and gripe, like we do here.<br /><br />The "insurgents" (READ TERRORISTS) don't like it, one bit.

ebbtide176

Commander

from what i have read on islam, a muslim can never be assured of heaven, because they never know if they have done enough 'good' deeds to please allah (1 of the many many gods in early islam, but the name of the god of mohammed's ancestors'/tribe, who then became the only 1 god, and who is not the father of jesus)<br /><br />except - if killed during jihad "of the sword"(of 5 types of jihad), which makes them a martyr, the only quoran listed way to ensure entry into heaven, to enjoy the virgins...<br /><br />so, i think that is why so many are willing to be suicide bombers, and die fighting whoever their religious leaders determine are infidels.<br /><br />and<br /><br />i would guess the reason the insurgents are afraid to let the iraqis rebuild in peace, is because they don't view them as brother muslims, but also infidels...<br /><br />and i guess the main chunk of iraqis are simply tired of subservience, and are more interested in rebuilding their country to make it a safe & more enjoyable place for their children to grow up...<br /><br />does that cover it? :D <br /><br />so i agree with you, aspeck :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

http://www.iraqcoalition.org/security/MOI_Info_Packet.html <br /> here is a site I found advertising for an iraqi officer. pay looks great to me as the average iraqi earns 25 dollars per month and there are a tremendous anmount of vacancies. maybe some of the posters on this board would wish to apply and assist a sovern nation set up a govt. not quite enough benifits for me though. in chatting with a student/non-citzen resident from bagdad he says there are no other job oppertunities in Iraq other than police or military unless your family has connections in the construction area. those without connections just go without.http://www.apbweb.com/employment.htm<br /> some sites for US officer employments. I wont reccomend Los angeles area as the sheriffs seem to be poorly trained and fire with mucho adenaline, regardless of line of site :) .

Link

Rear Admiral

From what Ive been hearing from our people comming back from there I would have to agree with aspeck.<br />There may be some truth to the doom and gloom of rolmops post but that is changing every day. <br />One of the units at Ft Lewis that just got back from there put up 1200 buildings in one year. Schools, Hospitals and homes. <br />They did not do this alone. They hired Iraqies to do the job of building their country. And are training those who have no construction skills. And NO the insurgents dont like to see any of this. <br />So much for their jihad (sp) <br />Good point SW and for the same reason I have never seen anything good going on over there in the news.

KaGee

Admiral

I am amazed how this country has turned into a "McDonalds" society. If we can't get "drive-thru" results, we want to cut and run on down the road.<br /><br />That poor country has suffered for 40 years and we expect perfect results in 24 months.<br /><br />Thank God, our ancesters had the resolve and courage, because if they were like us today, we would not be here having this discussion.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Kagee<br /> I tend to agree with ya on the society thing. however the Iraq/middle east problem goes back more than 40 years and was mostly created by the policies of the US and England over oil. was bad after WWI and worse after WWII. most americans never look past what CNN reports on how and why the problems with the west and the middle east started and how they have deteriorated and why. most of our policy has been driven by oil. even as early as 1947 we have been caarefully sheperding our oil in the middle east. those govts that did not cooperate were destabilized and toppled by oil companies and westen govts. anything was ok as long as russia did not get our oil and the taps were kept on. I dont know if your old enough to remember or have followed the russin/afghan war in the 80's or even looked at why russia wanted afghanistan. makes some interesting history on how the west countered the russian threat in afghanistan. I am not saying it was good nor bad its just historical fact.<br /> its going to happen again as well. <br /> there is a situation going on in venezuela now that is interesting but there is not much attention being paid to it.<br /> the CITGO corperation is wholly owned by PDVSA. PDVSA is the venezuela national oil company is is owened by the venezuelans and controled by a democratically elected president. there are no CITGO gas stations in VE. only in the states. the current democratically elected president of VE has placed CITGO for sale. so far FINA,shell and exxon/mobile are interested in the purchase.<br /> my guess is that after CITGO is sold he will cut oil sales to the US. right now with CITGO being owned by VE it would hurt VE if the oil was shut off. after the sale the president of VE will have no economic incentive to sell oil to the states.my guess is he will sell to china and russia. he is already negotiating with china. VE supplies about 1/5 of our oil. will be a hurtin if it happens.

KaGee

Admiral

Hey Rod,<br /><br />Ya, I'll bet you have more than a few customers lately who wanted their boat fixed..."yesterday"!<br /><br />I am not up on my history and I don't dispute what you are saying. Our government is probably guilty of more sins that you or I will never know about.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

kagee<br /> yep<br /> sometimes they will call and ask if its ready before it arrives:). or they drop it off at 8 am and call at 8:30 wanting a status report.<br /> some know I am at a marina 30 miles from my house working on their boat yet will call my house 4 times a day. thats why I unplugged the answering machine, tossed the pager and refuse to get a cell phone.I have been known to finally tell a customer to pick it up and take it someplace faster :) .<br /> history is a funny thing<br /> its only written by the winners and only selectivly taught. at one time I read almost any history I could find on events from the WW1 era to present. I also read quite a bit of the political history behind the events leading up to WWII. I also have at least 2 foriegn exchange students during the summer at my house. laast year was 2 lithuainiaans. neither girl knew much at all about any western history. was almost scary. my fiancee is a venezuelan born of spanish paarents and is quite educated. the country clubs there are usually full of college educated peoples from all over the world. I have to stay somewhat current just to converse. had a suberb disscussion last christmas with a native born venezuelan with lebonese parents that at age 2 moved to syria and had just moved back to VE in 02. he spoke no english and limited spanish. I speak no persian nor spanish so the translator was nutty by the time we were done. Bassam is very well educated and very intelligent. also had some eye opening facts that were not avalible here.<br /> the past sins are not what concerns me, its the constant failure to learn from them and the constant repeating of them. that is a concern.