Another Oregon tax scheme... GPS in everyone's car

Homerr

Commander
This idea has to take the cake.<br />Our elected morons are spending our tax money to research the idea of placing a GPS system in everyone's car so they know how far you drive, and tax you at the pump rather than a flat fuel tax we already have.<br /><br />But noooo... It won't be used to track you!... No way. :mad: <br /><br />Driving While InTAXicated <br /><br /> CNS news.com <br /><br />I heard about this on Lars Larson's show yesterday.<br /><br />They approve something like this... That will be the nail in the coffin for me to get out of here. <br /><br /><br />H.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another Oregon tax scheme... GPS in everyone's car

Homerr, if that happens simply cover the GPS antenna with aluminum foil and they won't have any idea where you are. In New York State where we have an annual mandated vehicle inspection program they could easily use the odometer readings for the same purpose, but we pay our gas tax at the pump. If only the politicians realized that thier constant waste of tax dollars is why they're always looking for more sources of tax dollars. Duh. :p

ED21

Do you really think they would eliminate to gas tax or just add the miles tax to your burdon?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ed:<br /> Do you really think they would eliminate to gas tax or just add the miles tax to your burdon?
Add the miles, if they could get away with it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Hmmm... lets take a simple tax idea and make it way more complicated.<br /><br />They already know how many miles you drive, by the amount of gas you buy. That is why in Texas the taxes are per gallon.<br /><br />You drive less, you use less gas, you pay less taxes.<br /><br />Simple to me.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So it will punish you if you have a more fuel effecient auto. <br /><br />WHats really up here is <br />1- a huge government jobs program to keep the unions happy. <br />2- another way to raise the cost of owning a car so as to keep more people dependant on mass transportation/government. <br />3- a car tracking device<br />4- one of the governor's brothers owns the company that makes the system.<br />5- they will extend this to boats, so they can find out where your hot fishing spots are.<br /><br />I really like the "time of day/congestion fees" they mention. But how would that work if they don't track your location? which they say they would not.

LubeDude

Admiral

See there Homerr, too much talk radio!!!!<br /><br /><br />I sent an Email yesterday to ODOT, and told them that they would put one of those things on my vehicle as they held a gun to my head, and then when I drove off, I would tear it out of my car befor I drove it again.<br /><br />I have not recieved a reply as of yet!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

They tax your income, they tax your property, they tax you when you make a purchase, and now they want to tax how far you drive?!?

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Homerr,<br />Just pack your family up and come on down to Florida. At this point you are just looking for a reason to leave Oregon. I think you have your mind made up. You just feel the need to justify it. Come on down. The Rodent King and Queen are calling your name....Homerr, Homerr........

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

So if that comes about, GPS will have a new meaning like GOVERNMENT POLICY STINKS!<br /><br />Officials should drive their personnal cars. That would take a big bite out of the budget everywhere.<br /><br />Watch out Homerr, I think they are going to come up with a flush tax for your crapper next<br /><br /> :D

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Officials should drive their personnal cars. That would take a big bite out of the budget everywhere
Dang, and I have a take home Explorer.....<br /><br /> :)

ED21

And they tax you when you die. If they could figure out a way to collect money from an infant, they would have a birth tax.

Homerr

Commander

You know damn well it won't go through... Too many of us won't stand for it.<br /><br />However... it wastes our tax money even researching the idea... while meantime we have to cut teachers and school days because of budget cuts!<br />Grrrrrr... :mad: <br /><br />TRblshtr: I thought of Florida...but only briefly... too many foreigners from what I hear!<br />And I think that's where the Mother-in-law moved to. :eek: <br /><br />It is a beautiful place though...<br /><br />H.

tylerin

Commander

GPS in your car? You mean all you Oregonians will be able to find California now? Crap :D

Link

Rear Admiral

I heard about that also.<br />A former Chief of Police from New Mexico told my wife and I that they tried that for their police cars to better respond to a officer in trouble.<br />His words not mine.<br /><br />What they found out was that 90% of the force was so corrupt that they didnt want anyone to know where they were doing their back alley deals. And they destroyed the units.<br /><br />You could do the same :) <br /><br />But I dont you guys will let it pass anyway.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Dang, they are going to miss out on the taxes from all the gas I burn Mowing grass.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

IN NY THEY HAVE A CAR RENTAL COMPANY THAT TRACK THE CUSTOMER AND ASSESED FEES FOR SPEEDING, AND EXCESS MILES PER DAY ON A MULTI DAY RENTAL AND CHARGED A CUSTOMER FOR LEAVING THE STATE ON A IN STATE RENTAL. THE CONSUMER AGENCY HAD A BALL ALONG WITH THE PRESS.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

is it true that the dunkin donut campain against overpriced lattaes was based on the seattle 10cent per cup levy on coffee.

Homerr

Commander

LOL...<br /><br />Good thing I don't drink coffee and lattaes!<br /><br />H.