another newbie...

island boy

Seaman
Hey i am trying to get set up with some fresh water fishing gear and really don't know where to start. I have been fishing in saltwater tons but never freshwater. I have just been stationed in Virginia so what kind of rod should i get set up with, and what kind of leuers. My friend has a few places he fishes and he gets a lot of bass and white perch mostly, these will be the areas i will be fishing to begin with.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: another newbie...

For bass a good all around set up to start with would be a spinning rig. Some thing like a Shimano Sahara 2500 reel mated to a 6'6' medium, or medium/ heavy, power rod. Slap some decent 12 pound test mono on it and your ready to fish. A good all around bait to start out with would be some senko's (Rubber worms) Rigged up Carolina style, on some owner offset hooks.

No guarantee to catch with senkos, but they are big producers everywhere, or so it seems.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Hey i am trying to get set up with some fresh water fishing gear and really don't know where to start. I have been fishing in saltwater tons but never freshwater. I have just been stationed in Virginia so what kind of rod should i get set up with, and what kind of leuers. My friend has a few places he fishes and he gets a lot of bass and white perch mostly, these will be the areas i will be fishing to begin with.

Walmart's and a Zebco 33 is a GREAT START for a closed face. They have Combo's just make sure the Rod is either a 6 or 6 1/2 foot nothing shorter. The rod should be Medium to Medium Heavy Action. They also have all the other fresh water gear you could ever want for. All at reasonable prices. A lot cheaper than a bait shop. Probably a lot of your salt water would work for fresh water as long as they aren't too big.
Check jump forums at the bottom of this page and click on the Fresh water Fishing Forum

John_S

Rear Admiral

If you were using spinning gear in salt water, then definitly a spinning reel/rod combo. The 2500 w/6.5' rod is a good size to handle many freshwater fish. I prefer line sizes in 6-10lb mono range. If you need to go larger for heavy cover or larger fish, the 3000 series will handle 10-14lb mono well. I'd consult with your friend on which is more appropriate. Also, start with using lures and tactics of your friend, before experiementing with others.

As far as brands and models, it would depend on the budget. I like Shimano and Daiwa reels. I used to use allot of Uglystick lite rods, but have formed a strong habit of St Croix Avids over the last couple of years.

island boy

Seaman

Thanks for the help i have one more question i was going to try to use that line called spider wire it looks like some pretty good line. Thanks again.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Thanks for the help i have one more question i was going to try to use that line called spider wire it looks like some pretty good line. Thanks again.

Spider Wire is excellent, Somewhere I read that Spider Wire Ultra is even better.
I haven't been able to find any Ultra anywhere though .