Another merc 650 ?.

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1966 Merc 650 65hp 4cyl. I checked if there is spark getting to the plugs and there is. I have noticed gas leaking out of the carbs when I prime the bulb. Still not starting. What could be the problem? Thanks.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another merc 650 ?.

Hey Artjo,<br />Sounds like sticking floats but could be a number of different things. More info would be helpful. Have you checked the compression? Have you checked the plugs after trying to start it. Are they wet with fuel/oil, dry, all the same? Did you just get the motor? Are you getting a strong spark?

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

I just purchased the boat about two weeks ago. Engine has never had any work done on it. Just tune-ups. Sat in storage for 15 years. Used a few times the past 5 years, by previous owner. I have had it out 3 times. First two times ran great. Then last time I ran it hard all day long then it died on lake. Will buy a compression checker fri. The plugs are black but look good. getting strong spark. Thanks.

Tcher_j

Recruit

As your trying to start it try smacking the floatbowl's with a screwdriver that sould unstick the them if there stuck.

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

What are the floatbowls and where are they located. I am new to this. Thanks.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Artjo, The float bowls are the bottom part of your carbs. If the motor sat for 15 years without being run......I'd say you should take the carbs apart & thoroughly clean them, replace the water pump impeller (maybe the housing too), replace the t-stats, change the gear lube, etc. The original complaint still indicates stuck float valves to me though.