Another mail box question

Link

Rear Admiral
Didnt want to ask a question with in ZmOz's post.<br /><br />If the mail box is federal property or it is at least a federal offence to mess with it.<br /><br />How come I had to buy mine! <br />How come when the posts holding it rotted I had to buy the wood, cement and build it myself<br /><br />Shouldnt the post office be doing this?<br /><br />And can I take it with me when I leave?

rwise

Captain
Re: Another mail box question

Hey the city replaced mine 2 years ago! Ok they were doing road work and ran it down. I thought they should have used treated wood as was there. But at least they fixed it.

Twidget

Commander

Just one of those hidden taxes Link. :) <br /><br />In my old neighborhood, we had kids running over mailboxes at night. After the first time, I dug the hole about 6 ft in diameter and 2 feet deep, filled with about 3 bags of sackcrete. The next time they ran over mine, I found a car impaled on a big lump of sackcrete. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

way to go, Twidget! Hey, if the mailbox is fed govt property, then any crimes against 'em should fall under the Dept. of Homeland Security, right? Call the FBI!<br /><br />Growing up I lived in a house with a mail slot in the front door - good thing we didn't know that meant our whole house was a mailbox, and therefore US govt property.<br /><br />+++++++++++++<br /><br />To answer your questions, Link:<br /><br />Q. How come I had to buy mine! <br />A. It's not govt property until you designate it as a mailbox.<br /><br />Q. How come when the posts holding it rotted I had to buy the wood, cement and build it myself<br />A. You didn't have to; you could have paid somebody else to do it. :) <br /><br />Q. Shouldnt the post office be doing this?<br />A. That's a joke, right? :) Actually they might, if you just give 'em enough time to get around to it.<br /><br />Q. And can I take it with me when I leave?<br />A. If you can get it outta the ground.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I think the mailbox in question was one of those large multi-compartment, metal jobs. Not the little POS we all have at the end of the drive way.

ndemge

Commander

My brother had a problem with kids driving by and hitting his with a baseball bat.<br /><br />So he bought a BIG box, and a LITTLE box, put the little box inside the big box and filled the 4" gap with concrete and put er on the pole. They couldn't resist this new huge target!<br /><br />He just happened to be sitting on his back deck on night, just after dark and hears a car slow down, hears a DONG, and then the crash of glass breaking.... their bat bounced off and broke the back window of their car out.<br /><br />15 years later, the new owners of that house still have the same box :)