Another "How to drop the lower end" post

The motor: 1969 model 5591 55 hp Chrysler 2 piece lower end.

I have the obvious 4 bolts out and the unit is sitting about an inch lower, but won't come off. I tried the "shift from forward to reverse" while I pulled down on the unit without any luck.

I believe I have to disconnect the shift linkage and aren't sure where it is. What I can see with the L.U. hanging down, looks almost like a brake line with about a 1" nut (length of nut, not diameter) attaching the "brake line" to something below it lower down in the L.U.. Is that the linkage?

From searching posts on here, I also know some models have a bolt around the exhaust snout that has to be removed. The only bolt I see in this area is a short one that holds the little vented grate on just under the exhaust snout. I believe this is the intake for water to the water pump. My model doesn't have the water intake on the sides of the L.U.. Does this mean there's no snout bolt to remove to drop the L.U.?

I have a manual coming in the mail, but my seal kit and gasket already arrived and I kinda wanted to have her running for some fun this weekend.
No pressure on you guys though :D.

**Update** It looks like this "brake line" needs to be disconnected to drop the L.U. so I started to loosen the nut. I can loosen it to expose about 1/4" of thread, then I get a lot of resistance like it can't be backed off any more.

What now??

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Another "How to drop the lower end" post

Remove the six bolts and nuts that hold the motor leg covers in place and remove them. You will see a 2 inch nut that has reverse threads on one side and forward threads on the other side. There should also be a small nut on top which acts as a locking nut to hold it in place once it has been adjusted correctly. Loosen the lock nut. Put one of the four bolts and nuts back on that hold the lower unit to the motor and leave that bolt and nut loose. I believe you need to turn the shift linkage adjustment (2inch nut ) clockwise to separate both upper and lower shift linkages. When you turn this nut the lower unit should start going down a little. The more it goes down the more you want to loosen the bolt and nut holding the lower unit to the motor leg. This is easier with another set of hands holding the lower unit. Once the linkage disconnects you dont want the lower unit to drop. I like to put an old pillow or life preserver under it all so if it falls it wont get damaged.

There is no snout bolt in that motor. If the motor does not separate after the four bolts and nuts are removed and the shift linkage is removed then something is seized. Good luck

She slid out nice 'n easy. Nothing seized up. Many thanks to ya. Time to get my gasket & seal kit out! My GF will be pretty happy (me too!) to get out on the water today and Sunday.

Now i'm trying to get the seal out of the prop hub. I'm pretty much mangling the seal, but being careful not to gouge the aluminum where the seal sits into the prop hub. The "o" ring on the prop hub was replaced in 1 minute. Its been close to an hour trying to get the seal that goes around the prop shaft off.

Kinda reminds me of replacing the bearings in my boat trailer, but those came out A LOT easier than this seal.:)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

That prop seal is a real pain. Took me two days the first time I did it and I was sure it was a permanent part of the bearing cage. A combination pliers works the best.

The prop seal is done, now we're trying to get everything back together after replacing the seal where the shift linkage rod comes through into the "torpedo" cavity.
We spent a couple hours trying to get the "claw" at the end of the shiftrod connected to the brass dog with the 2 pins on the side. Once you start putting the spindle with the gears on it back into the torpedo, I lose sight of the alignment and location of the brass dog. We just keep trying to shift it once we think we have the connection right, but so far pulling/pushing the shift rod doesn't change the direction of the prop spin so its back to square one.

I have confidence we'll get it right today!!!

2 more hours today and we finally got the shift rod connected right so it will shift gears. Time to slap the L.U. back on, take it for a spin, and check for leaks. If I do get a leak, it must be at one of the gear lube screws or the little bolt that holds the shift linkage in place.

Fingers crossed for the trial run.....

And now, the HAPPY ending:D:D. Found out the culprit was the shaft seal. We didn't change it (slipped our minds) when we did the shift rod seal, the o-ring seal in front of the prop, and the prop hub seal. I put a new impeller in also.

Starting it at the dock, I realized that it was in gear (when the control handle is in the neutral position). Taking the L.U. off and putting it back on a few times, I kinda lost where the original position of the linkage adjustment nut was. 10 minutes later and a small adjustment of the linkage nut, she went into reverse, neutral, and forward just fine.

Ran it for a good hour, alternating between putzing around and periods of WOT. Took it home and cracked the gear lube plugs. No milky froth!!! Oil looked much as it did when I put it in. The new impeller seems to be working fine, after I figured out I missed the water tube when I put the L.U. back on.

I took the L.U. off and put it back on more times than I care to admit, but it is worth the effort.

A success story due to help received on this site, alotta sweat, cursing, and tears.

Thanks!!!!
Dale

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

next time, Dale, hold the brass yoke onto the shift shaft with a gob of grease. Helps to keep it from falling off while you try to position it.

We did. The thing that made that part come together, was finding the right size (small) screwdriver to put into the screw hole that holds the shift linkage "claw" in place.
Once I could get behind the "claw" with the little screwdriver, and hold it from being pushed out of the way, we got it on the ears of the yoke on the third try.
Before that, we tried dozens of times to get it together. Before the screwdriver trick, I think we just kept pushing the "claw" at the end of the shiftrod away and not hooking up with the yoke.