Another Dumb Human Trick

Tiger123245

Cadet
OK, this one was committed by me... checking out your parking/emergency brake before going to the boat ramp is a good thing! Especially with a manual transmission. Here I am, brand new to me BIG 'ole pontoon. Scared/nervous since it's the first time I've ever launched a boat. Never thought to check the p. brake before I left the house. Put the trailer w/boat in the water, put the trans. in 1st gear, shut the truck off, push in the parking brake, let off the reg. brake. Truck rolls back a bit.. think "Ok, it's just the weight settling?? :confused: ) Have the wheel chocks in my hand, open the door, get out, truck rolls another inch. Jump BACK in the truck (you've never SEEN someone move so fast!), push on the brake pedal, drop the chock on the ground and push it toward the tire with one foot, miss... oh crap! :eek: Get it with the tip of my toe and FINALLY get it in place.... run around to the other side of the truck and put that chock in place. Had a great day on the lake otherwise! The next day took my truck in and had the emergency brake fixed... the mechanic is also a boater and he told me if I ever DO wind up with a big red anchor (my truck is red)... to call him so he can come look - he's never actually seen anyone do that before - although he assured me if I set the brake now it WILL work! :rolleyes:

brother chris

Commander
Re: Another Dumb Human Trick

Been there...done that. I always have a rock or a piece of wood in the back of my truck to use as a tire chuck. <br />With my luck...you never know.

fireman57

Captain

Having too many things to keep running I too have no emergency brake on my truck. Cables only 45.00 but busy keeping wife's, 2 kids cars, my two trucks and my van running. Does not count tractors, combines, grain trucks, lawn mowers, neighbor's vehicles, well you get the picture. I solved my emergency brake problem by getting a 1 foot chunk of 4x4 and screwing in a 1 inch eye and attaching a 6 ft piece of rope to it. I back down about 1 foot to where I need to be to launch and then open my door and lightly toss the 4x4 to where my front left wheel will roll to it. I then shut off my engine leaving it in first gear. Get out launch the boat and then pick up the rope and get in the truck with the rope in my window. When I take off up the ramp I just lift the rope up when I get to my chock and drive up the ramp with it. I get all the really cool looks that go with it. Someone called it redneck boat launching. Works for me.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Had the same thing happened to my friend once. He had a big old pickup without any parking brake on that pickup. We were launch a boat at a ramp which was steeper than the other ramp that we are used to and when he backed the boat down and put the pickup on 1st gear the pickup started to roll backwards into the water...Man..he never used to move fast but this time he probably beat the world record. I went and found a big piece of cinder block and drop it behind his front wheel and that stop it from moving backwards. A few drops of sweat later and a calm, regular heartbreak later, we launch the boat and had a beautiful time on the water. He traded that old POS later for a new Dodge 1500.