Another customer no-service at Shucks Auto

Homerr

Commander
The post on customer service (of lack-of) prompted me to post this problem I had over the last few days with Shucks Auto parts.<br /><br />I purchased all new rotors, drums, pads, etc... for my truck. Over $300 of parts.<br />I completed one side of the truck and began on the other only to find the rotor they gave me was the wrong one. The box it was in was obviously mis-marked.<br /><br />OK.. mistakes happen. Now the fun begins...<br /><br />I called them to get a replacement, but no... they are closing in 5 minutes. I asked for someone to stay there as I'd be right down... NOPE.. they wouldn't do it.<br /><br />All this time mind you... not ONE apology.<br /><br />Meanwhile, I have to tell my kids we can't go to the swimming hole today because of this. My only day off... and now we can't go.<br /><br /><br />Next morning, the 'negotiator' (the Wife) goes down to Shucks to exchange the rotor.<br />There is a different person working the counter (with a name tag that says assistant manager) that was less than helpful. The Wife explains what happens and the attitude she got back?: "I wasn't here, so it's not my fault" <br /><br />Say what? :mad: <br />Still no apology.. even from this "assistant manager"<br /><br />OK fine.. give me the right rotor... Guess what... they don't have one even though the people we talked with last night said they had two in stock!<br /><br />OK.. so they call a different store. Sure they have one.<br /><br />So the Wife goes to the other store and pick it up (no.. the first store didn't even bother to go get it themselves)<br /><br />Still no apologies.<br /><br />She brings to rotor home and although it was the correct rotor, it has a pin-hole on one surface of the disk! (right on top of one of the vanes)<br /><br />Back on the phone...<br /><br />Their answer was "it came from the factory like that, so it should be fine"<br /><br />EXCUSE ME?<br /><br />A pin-hole tends to become a larger hole. Apply heat to while trying to stop a 5000 lb. boat and ? Cracks, pad damage?<br />You are going to tell me that it's OK to have a hole in the surface of a disk right at the vane?<br />I understand they have cross-drilled rotors, but not right on the vane. They are in-between.<br /><br />Anyhow... my point is that I was not going to run that rotor. nobody should.<br />They exchanged it with a little resistance.<br /><br />Oh and did I mention... still no apology!<br /><br />The 'negotiator' called the district manager and explained what happened. He was appalled that this happened to say the least. He was quite angry that the original store wouldn't allow me to come get the right rotor after-hours since there are employees there for at least an hour after regular closing.<br />He assured us that it would be taken care of and to meet him Wednesday for a full refund.<br /><br />Well.. I'll believe that when I see it. :confused: <br /><br />Now I know why they call it "Shucks".. It's what you say after you discover you have the wrong part! :mad: <br /><br />H.

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Another customer no-service at Shucks Auto

Thats's Schmucks for ya. <br />Their called kragen in this neck of the woods.<br /><br />Every discount auto parts store that i've been to has terrible service.<br />It takes forever to get your part and after waiting an eternity to get it there usually isn't anyone at the checkout to ring it up.<br /><br />Napa seems to be the only chain that has excellent service.<br /><br />I rarely patronize Shucks, Autozone or Pep Boys.<br />It just ain't worth the savings.

Homerr

Commander

Yep... I usually order everything over the Internet (when it's feasible of course)<br /><br />I'm starting to like Napa a lot more... even though their prices are quite a bit more.<br />I think I'd rather pay more than deal with the incompetence.<br /><br />If this district manager will honor what he said today, then perhpas my faith will be restored... a little... <br /><br /><br />H.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always have good luck at NAPA and the folks there really know what they are talking about. Sometimes it's worth the few extra bucks just to talk to the guy who will give you a few pointers if you haven't done something before.<br /><br />There is an Advanced Autoparts near by. The manager there is a really nice guy - might not always know the answer, but he'll at least tell you if he doesn't know. He works hard and I think that rubs off on most of the staff there.. <br /><br />Any other Advanced Autoparts though? A bunch of kids with piercings all over their faces who don't know what they are talking about.

woodrat

Ensign

I have a pretty good local NAPA, but I have had some pretty crappy NAPA experiences elsewhere.<br /><br />That's what you get when you go for cheap though. Those cheap places hire cheap employees who know little and care less.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I just wonder when Wal-Mart is going to sell truck/auto parts. A 24 hr parts house would be cool.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

and that's what you get from minimum wage, minimum benefit employees. <br /><br />We had a saying where I used to work, nothings too good for our employees, and nothings what they get,,,, ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Parts houses, where do I start?<br /><br />We used to have a really good one, but it burned down, it was an independent and had older people working there that actually new what you were talking about. They would spend hours trying to locate something for you. Our NAPA store is one of those that has no respect for a decent parts man and will hire a woman that doesnt know anything about a vehicle. We have one Car Quest store here that has recieved most of my businness lately.<br /><br />I wont even go into the local Shucks Store.<br /><br />Ah Shucks, we dont have it.<br /><br />Aw shucks we wont take it back.<br /><br />Aw shucks, its the wrong part.<br /><br />Aw shucks, if its not on the computer screen, I dont know what you are talking about.

D

DJ

I'm not into bashing.<br /><br />But, you get what you pay for.<br /><br />OEM, there would NOT be a question.

Link

Rear Admiral

Wont remark on shucks.. <br />but when NAPA bought out our local parts store we werent too happy. Had been dealing with the same people for decades in some cases. <br />To our delite they changed the name on the store and left everyone in place. Even the owner (ex) stayed on for a few years. His kid runs the place now.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow LubeDude..I'm a little surprised at your comment about who your local parts shop will hire..

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

My only problem with buying OEM parts, besides being very expensive in most cases, is that I generally find better quality, and more complete "sets" or "kits" in the aftermarket. I mean if I buy a waterpump, I NEED A GASKET TOO. From the OEM, that's a seperate part. Doing a head gasket job> You have to order each head gskt seperately, then you have to order the intake, throttle body, exhaust, etc all seperately! I was shocked when I was able to buy a "Valve grind" set that included everything. So the aftermarket gets most of my business. Typically better quality/engineered parts, more complete installation oriented sets.<br /><br />I will not shop at the local discount parts stores because AutoZone sells CHEAP parts, not inexpensive ones, just plain cheap. And I hate to do the same job twice. The local Advance Auto Parts store at least carries a lot of name brand parts, but typically isn't much less expensive than the local independent professional parts store. and the local pro store has knowledgeable parts look-up people. Service is definately worth the extra cost sometimes!

woodrat

Ensign

about OEM;<br /><br />I have had a couple experiences where OEM was REQUIRED! I once had a saab 99, a really comfy nice car, but when I tried to put an aftermarket clutch in it, it only lasted a couple of months before it was out again, the second time I bought an OEM set, based on a saab mechanic's advice, and indeed the whole thing was not only obviously higher quality, but obviously different as well. I don't even know what kind of clutch I got the first time, but it sure didn;t look like the OEM one! And the price was only somewhat more expensive.<br /><br />Second time, I bought a toyota 22r from a junkyard where they had replaced the head gasket. Only lasted about 10K before it blew, and the new clyinder head people told me to go OEM with the gasket kit. I did, and it was outrageously priced, but obviously WAAAY different than the felpro that was in there. Had nice copper sealing rings built in around the cylinders and such, and was never a problem again.<br /><br />Both sets of parts came complete, with no extra little annoying things like missing essential gaskets, which I have also experienced at NAPA.<br /><br />about cheap chains;<br /><br />I was in the city one night with a blown heater hose on the wife's Volvo and couldn't find a replacement anywhere. Finally, in frustration, I called shucks, and sure enough they had one! So I rush over and buy it just before they close, go back to put it on and of course, it isn't even the same thing at all. it was one of those deals where in order to save inventory costs, they stock a few basic hose shapes and then claim that the damn thing will fit almost anything. Of course by the time I got through trying to make it fit, it wasn't returnable anyway and the next day i did finally go OEM and bingo! it fit like it was made to. Duh!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I buy OEM where possible. For instance on the brakes on my truck. OEM set that came on the truck got me to 118,000 miles. That's almost unheard of for front discs. I now have 137,000 and the rear disc's are almost ready to replace. Granted, the OEM discs were about twice the price...but to go 100,000 vs 30,000 what I used to get with afterparket pads....I'll spend the extra $$<br /><br />ps...bought a AC compressor for my Saturn at Autozone. Put on a new expansion valve and accumulator. flused the system, drew vacuum, went to charge....no go....reed valves messed up in the compressor. Went to an AC shop and bought a compressor from them. worked perfectly. took POS back to Autozone for refund. Never will I buy parts like that from a discount chain

aspeck

Staff member

I also like to stick with OEM for most purchases. There are a few aftermarket parts that are as good as OEM, but in most cases OEM costs less in the LONG run. Just my $0.02.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I owned an auto parts distribution firm specializing in aftermarket automotive body parts.<br /><br />Some manufacturers that serve the oem also serve the aftermarket with the exact same lines. Brake parts are a good example. <br /><br />The trick is knowing where to go for certain parts.<br /> <br />- Most tune up parts can be purchased anywhere. the quality on these are just about the same.<br />- Stay away from rebuilt units (other than engines/cylinder heads/transmissions). I used to sell them. They are absolute crap.<br />- Stay with Napa, Carquest, and other stores that base their business around commercial sales. You will find better parts at those places.<br />- Going to the oem is becoming a better and better route. The prices on oem parts are becoming more competetive with aftermarket parts.

D

DJ

Gee Whiz, I threw the OEM thing out there as a troll, but I also believe it.<br /><br />It seems that some agree.<br /><br />I've NEVER been disappointed with OEM parts, especially brakes and batteries.<br /><br />I buy cheap when I'm getting ready to "dump" something. I won't ride in it! But, I'm also honest, I tell the buyer what they are getting.<br /><br />It's funny, people will spend all kinds of $$ for a few more ponies, out of their engine, yet will install "Bob's" (read, "who knows") brake pads. :confused: <br /><br />I won't let Brakes Plus put brakes on my minibike, much less a car that I ride in.<br /><br />The same as OEM aftermarket myth is just that-a myth.<br /><br />OEM brake "formulas" are very closely guarded. The OEM stuff must meet FMVSS, NO aftermarket brake material has to, and NONE do. Go figure.