Another cooling system question

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a 1984 Cruisers Inc 266 Vee Sport with twin Mercruiser 260's and Alpha drives. I do not have access to the serial numbers at the present time, but I know they are both 63xxx something. The hour meters show about 1100 hours. At some point, the starboard engine was replaced. As usual, according to the previous owner, everything works and operates perfectly - I live in the real world - I knew going into this that this was not the case. I'm happy with what I bought and the purchase price was right. I'm not a stranger to boats , so some repairs do not bother me.

I started with a basic tune up and set everything to factory specs. I discovered a broken exhaust valve spring on the number seven cylinder on the starboard engine. I repaired this and the motor ran perfect with the exception of never warming up. I purchased two Mercruiser thermostat kits from the dealer and installed them according to the printout he gave me. I've attached a copy of it. The engine now runs perfect - about 140 degrees at an idle, between 150 and 160 under load. So far, so good.

On to the port engine. It was doing the exact same thing as the starboard - never warming up. I installed the thermostat exactly like I did in the starboard engine and this engine now idles at about 165 and steady creeps up under load. I backed out of it when the gauge hit 200, watched the gauge climb to 220 at idle, then rapidly cool down to 165. I started looking in the manual and see the thermostat is installed differently than the printout the dealer gave me. Again, I've attached a picture from the manual.

My question is which one is correct? I'm leaning toward the printout, because that's the way the old stats were installed. But then again, I'm dealing with a nearly 30 year old boat that anyone could have done anything to at one time or another. I don't want to over-think this problem - I just want to get it operating correctly before I have to put it away for the winter.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Mark

Attachments

• thermostat2.JPG
    thermostat2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thermostat1.JPG
    thermostat1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 0

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another cooling system question

I am not highly familiar with your thermostat issue -- but you may want to check for obstructions that could limit water flow if the tstats are installed correctly.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

I am not highly familiar with your thermostat issue -- but you may want to check for obstructions that could limit water flow if the tstats are installed correctly.

I'll check everything, when I get back to the boat, but I don't believe it's obstructed due to the fact that it ran cold at an idle and under load with the old thermostats. I'm leaning toward a defective thermostat, but I would really like to know which is the correct assembly order. The two pictures are as different as can be, and both are Mercruiser.

Mark

rabbitprobe

Cadet

Swap the T-stats and you'll know if it's bad if the problems swap with them. I'm betting it's not the t-stat and there was a reason someone did something with the old ones that didn't allow them to reach correct temp.

Bondo

Staff member

but I would really like to know which is the correct assembly order. The two pictures are as different as can be, and both are Mercruiser.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Mercruiser has used quite a few Different t-stat housings...

I donno if yer's should have the sleeve above, or below the t-stat...

Got any pictures,..??

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

Swap the T-stats and you'll know if it's bad if the problems swap with them. I'm betting it's not the t-stat and there was a reason someone did something with the old ones that didn't allow them to reach correct temp.

I don't believe anyone did anything with them. I think that they were just old and reached the end of their useful life. I've had more boats with thermostats stuck open than closed - which is a good thing. They don't have to be open very far to keep the engine from reaching operating temperature.

Mark

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Mercruiser has used quite a few Different t-stat housings...

I donno if yer's should have the sleeve above, or below the t-stat...

Got any pictures,..??

No pics. Mine has the tee on the front with the plastic check balls. I checked it today and found the problem. The dealer gave me one correct and one wrong thermostat kit. The top gasket in the wrong kit did not have the cutout that allowed water to flow to the risers. I saw it as soon as I disassembled it. The dealers excuse was sorry, I must have grabbed one wrong kit. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big deal. I lost minimal time but it sure had me doing some head scratching.

I put it back together with the thermostat on the bottom and took the boat out and ran it. I put over two hours on it at all speeds from an idle to full throttle. ( the best part of a repair is the test drive when everything works as it should) I have about a 10 degree difference on the gauges between the two engines, but I'll chalk that up to inaccurate electric gauges. One may be reading low, one may be reading high, one may be right - who knows. It's for sure not getting hot and when I place my hand on either engine, they feel about the same. I think I'll declare this case closed and move on to other projects on this boat.

Mark