Another car insurance question...

Homerr

Commander
Situation:<br /><br />Licensed family member drives my insured car.<br />Family member IS NOT listed on policy, only me.<br /><br />Family member gets into fender bender. (Not a big deal.. no major damage)<br /><br />Now... my insurance goes up because there are 2 claims/accidents on policy.<br /><br />Question:<br /><br />Since the accidents are on the family members drivers license number, will it affect me if I switch to another insurance company?<br /><br />Since my driving record is clean... Will the 'claims' show up somewhere/somehow when I look for another company? <br />I know they ask if you've had any claims or accidents when you apply. The truth is... NO I haven't had any claims. I've never been in an accident, and my last ticket was about 4 years ago.<br /><br />The family member is no longer driving my cars, nor is the car that was involved in my name anymore.<br /><br /> :confused: <br /><br /><br />H.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another car insurance question...

If you have a claim on your insurance, it's there and nothing you can do about it.<br /><br />If the insurance company had to pay anything out, it's on your record cause you are the policy holder.<br /><br />Also if said driver injured someone, you would be the one they would want to talk to also.

Dunaruna

Admiral

The problem is if you don't disclose previous claims (and circumstances surrounding the claim) then the new insurance company may use that as a reason to reject any possible future claims. Tell them everything.<br /><br />Aldo

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

So you are basically claiming a non insured person drove your car??<br /><br />If they are not on your policy then I would never let someone drive my car that did not have other insurance.<br /><br />The only way to get it off YOUR insurance was to get the person who had the accident to make a claim, since that person made a claim on YOUR insurance it is now part of your record.<br /><br />Nice guys do finish last sometimes...<br /><br />people have insurance cars do not

Homerr

Commander

I just called a place I want to get insurance through, and they said I'm fine.<br /><br />Since I'm not insuring the vehicle or person that was involved in the accident, and that person is no longer in the household... It doesn't affect my insurance with them. :) <br /><br />Good point Tomatolord... however I believe my policy covered any licensed person over 25. <br />Non-insured person never came up in the accident.<br /><br /><br />Personally, I think this insurance company is just trying to find a way to stick it to me.<br />(long story...)<br /><br />Aren't they all? :mad: <br /><br /><br />Thanks for the help guys....<br /><br /><br />H.

NYMINUTE

Captain

As my grandfather always said "It isn't personal, it is business" He was kind of an insurance guy, nice suit and all.

KaGee

Admiral

Hi Homerr...<br /><br />Insurance laws vary state to state. <br />I had to cover both of my boys until they were 18. Once 18, they could get their own policy and I had to sign a rider to my policy that were excluded and could not drive any of my cars. <br /><br />All insurance companies subscribe to a reporting service similar to the credit bureau. Those accidents are gonna stick with you for a while, no matter what company you go with. The agent that told you otherwise was either nieve or was misleading you to get your business. Once he signed you up, you most likely would be hit with a surcharge.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> As my grandfather always said "It isn't personal, it is business" He was kind of an insurance guy, nice suit and all.
Hmmmmm... was he an "ORGANIZED" fellow whose people called "DON" and talked about "THE FAMILY" often?? :p

TilliamWe

Banned

Homerr, listen to SBN & KaGee, they are right.<br />The guy that told you 'since that driver is not in your household, it won't affect you,' is only telling you part of the story. It won't affect you in the future. But when he/she goes to "rate" your application, the claim that YOU had for that minor fender bender will show up & will count against you.<br /><br />tomatolord, what state do you live in? <br /><br />Rule of thumb is this: Insurance goes with the car. (not the driver)<br />If you give someone permission to drive your car, any damage they cause is covered under the auto policy on THAT car.

KaGee

Admiral

Rule of thumb is this: Insurance goes with the car. (not the driver)<br />If you give someone permission to drive your car, any damage they cause is covered under the auto policy on THAT car.
In Ohio that statement would not be true. All licensed drivers are to be insured... by law.

TilliamWe

Banned

Keith, don't get me started on Ohio!!! :mad: That situation is partially due to a court decision, yada yada yada. :p <br />But it's still true in Ohio, if you let me drive your car, and I damaged it, and/or other's property YOUR car insurance would pay the claim.<br /><br />MY insurance policy would only come into play, if your limits were lower than the actual amount of the damages. So that means the driver's policy is an "excess" policy. The car's policy is the "primary".<br /><br />If any of that basic insurance principle has changed in Ohio, I will find out.

SpinnerBait_Nut

In Kentucky, you insure the car and list any driver/s that will/might drive said car.<br />Thanks, all my girls are out of the house now.<br /><br />Years ago, I had a policy that covered any driver that had my permission to drive said car, but that got out of sight price wise so I changed it.

TilliamWe

Banned

Years ago, I had a policy that covered any driver that had my permission to drive said car,
SBN, that's kinda standard among auto policies.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea but now, you have to list them, you didn't back then. That's the way mine is anyway.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Yea but now, you have to list them, you didn't back then. That's the way mine is anyway.
Same here.<br /><br />Y'all can do what you want... nobody driving any of my vehichles unless I know that they are fully insured.... liability and collision! Too many loopholes in those polocies.