Another brain child.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
On my ISP home page there was a news story posted about a group guarding their homes in NO.<br /><br />They interviewed a man who was standing guard over his home with a shotgun and a pistol. He had a generator and enough food and water for about a month. His neighbor had food for several weeks, and was also guarding his own home with firearms.<br /><br />Now for the good part, he was going on and on about the lawless theives looting peoples homes and businesses. He was telling the reporter how the unfortunate people left their homes behind and these people are taking everything they own. He then said he ran off several groups of theives. One group came to his home to steal his generator, with machettes in hand (hispanic males). he pulled his gun and they left. The other group (a carload of white men) drove by and stopped until he pulled his gun.<br /><br />After complaining that these people are theives taking advantage, the reporter asked how much gas he has for his generator. He replied.......he has plenty of gas, he went around his neighborhood siphoning gas from cars that were left behind.<br /><br />Now who is the theif? :rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another brain child.

This brings up a very interesting debate. What is OK to take when you are trying to protect and feed your family and what is stealing under all circumstances. I would submit that commodoties like fuel, water and food are somewhat open season under these conditions.<br /><br />Yes, definitely still theft in the purest sense, but would it be OK to help yourself to an apple off of a neighbor's tree when there is no way to get food from other sources and it is unlikely your neighbor will be back until the apple rots? Of course this is a rationalization, but I think some things change under these conditions. I would submit that breaking into a storefront and filling a shopping cart full of electronics is an entirely different scenario . . .

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I like your sense of irony, DD, but it wouldn't be a theft if my neighbor siphoned my gas...if he needs it & I'm not there, he knows I won't need it before he get's a chance to replace it, he's welcome to it.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I completely agree. The officers on another post shopping in Wal Mart is definately out of line. They even knew it by the way they tried to walk away from the press. I saw that one originally aired on CNN or someplace.<br /><br />Taking food, water, diapers, things of necessity for life although stealing may not be wrong if that is the only way to get it. As long as nobody gets hurt by the act, like the store owners that are still there trying to save their business. After all, the food in the stores will all have to be destroyed anyway if I am correct.<br /><br />When people are in need they rationalize everything to convince themselves they were not doing wrong. I even see people do this when they steal from others in my job. I even prey on this in interviewing suspects, make it sound like they were not wrong. Even blaming the rightful owners of property for leaving such a temptation out there, or for being rich and not sharing the wealth. That gets a lot of confessions.<br /><br />BUT what gives this man the right to call the other people taking food and water from vacated abandoned buildings theives and saying they were wrong for taking that which sustains life, when he himself is taking gas from abandoned or vacated vehicles to sustain the luxery of electricity? He justifies what he is doing while condemning others for doing the same thing.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he should have to share his electricity with those in need to plug in their new plasma TV's.<br /><br />I have no problem w/the cops shopping for socks,shoes to replace what's been ruined. No police already had a PR problem before the cane.<br /><br />The line between black and white in this situation is really gray. Food, water and fuel is a lot different than lifting things like plasmas and gold chains