another bearing buddy question

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
one of my bearing buddies keeps spinnig off. I have been told to just hit it with a hammer or something to make not so round, and it will stay on. Right or wrong?

Spud

manofprawnz

Seaman
Re: another bearing buddy question

Don;t know if you could wack it hard enough to get it out of round. Perhaps it is hitting the cotter pin inside, but could be from wheel vibration. Check that the wheel/hub is tight enough. I would jack up the wheel and spin it, see that there is no vibration, also that the buddy is in correct, spinning true.

Another thought, if they are new buddies, are they the correct size. Anyhow good luck.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

From their web site:

2. What can cause a Bearing Buddy? to fall out of the hub? The most common reason is the hub bore diameter is wrong, because the hub manufacturer did not maintain quality control during production. Other possible reasons are listed below.

The spindle may be too long, which could cause the nut or cotter pin on the end of the spindle to push against the Bearing Buddy? piston (when grease level is low), eventually forcing it out of the hub.
Excessive removal and reinstallation of a Bearing Buddy? can wear down the Bearing Buddy? shoulder (the part that fits into the hub), which decreases the interference fit between the Bearing Buddy? shoulder and the hub bore.
An out-of-balance tire and/or incorrect bearing torque can cause excessive "wheel play" or wobbling, which can cause a Bearing Buddy? to work its way out of the hub.
Installing the wrong size Bearing Buddy? for the hub bore diameter.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i had the same problem search for my thread use berring buddy falling off or some variance of that.

I was told by someone to take a hammer and bend the hub a little by taking a punch and putting it on the face of the hub where the buddy goes in and wacking to get a little dimple that will create friction on the buddy.

This is the best solution i heard but i did not have to use it b/c i never had to i think i had to much play in the berrings after a change and my cotter pin might have been hitting the cap. I retourqued and made sure the pin was bent well and the cleaned and put loctight on the hub to hold it has not moved since not sure if the removable loctight did it but i think the tire loose was the problem as i had some play on the wheel that i took up by tightinging the nut on the spindle!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I was told by someone to take a hammer and bend the hub a little by taking a punch and putting it on the face of the hub where the buddy goes in and wacking to get a little dimple that will create friction on the buddy.

Use a hammer and a center punch. Center punch several times on the outer perimeter of the bearing buddy that goes into the hub. Sliding the bearing buddy over the horn of an anvil or vise (or some round stock in a vise) helps to not bend the BB into an egg shape.
All those center punch marks will be just like little teeth griping the inside perimeter of the hub.
If it is a plastic body BB then do the above to the hub instead.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, you guys make much more sense.

I had the dealer repack my bearings last year, it is a twin axle, new tires and I always keep the air pressure right on. The bb's kept coming off no matter what the dealer did or what I tried to do. I think I have lost six or seven bb's.

I will print this and when I get around to prepping the boat for summer I will try these suggestions.

thanks, again you guys are smarter than the guys at the dealership

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use a good electrical tape like scotch 33 or 88 and tape the bearing to the hub. That solved my problem on an old set of worn hubs.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man, the last thing you want is one of these Buddy things coming loose on the highway and flying thru the windshield of the guy behind you. I used a couple stainless hose clamps -- bent one over the cap, then used the other one to tighten it to the hub.
BuddyKeeper0003.jpg

cbavier

Lieutenant

There are at least three different sizes Diameter for Bearing Buddies. I know from experience and several trips to the Marina. Make sure you have the correct size. I think it would be best to take the trailer right there to the Marina after the experience I went through. My Boat Trailer did not come with Bearing Buddies but my last one had them. So I kept the old bearing buddies thinking I would just put them on this new trailer. WRONG!!!!.They wouldn't fit so I wound up using the old Bearing Buddies on my Utility trailer and buying new ones for My Boat Trailer.