Another 85 horse Force question-

Brdiecat

Recruit
I have a problem I can't seem to get fixed with my 1989 Force. It runs beautifully as long as it's in fresh water, but as soon as I launch it into salt water, it won't idle or run slowly- it keeps cutting out & I have to give it full throttle to get it to start & then have trouble keeping it running.

The carburaters have been rebuilt, the water pump is new, & I'd like some ideas before I unwinterize (yeah- I made it up!) it, what to do. I've had it to 2 different repair shops & it still isn't fixed.

Maybe I should work on it when it's in salt water to get the adjustments right? Isuspect it needs to be leaned out a bit? (Running too rich for the water consistancy?}

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another 85 horse Force question-

NO! DON'T lean it! That is begging for engine damage.

Check the timing to be certain it is correct (30 deg BTDC at WOT). If it is, use the idle stop screw to set the idle speed to 700-750 RPM in forward gear in salt water.

Salt water is denser than fresh and if the idle speed is too low, the engine WILL stall. Consistantly. Then, as you experience, you must either start in fast idle and slam it into gear or attempt to start at full throttle which should not be possible because of the neutral interlock

Oh, yeah! Keep a fresh set of plugs on board. When the engine starts giving starting or stalling p[roblems, first change the plugs.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Another 85 horse Force question-

I know saltwater is denser than fresh, but there's not THAT big of a difference. At idle in neutral, the minute extra drag on the impeller can't possibly be causing the problem, IMO.

Another difference between fresh and saltwater is electrical conductivity. Is water somehow getting on the ignition wiring under the cowl?