anobody have problems with cooling on a 7.5 merc

albertaborn

Cadet
anybody ever have problems with the side access plate on the port side of the powerhead being warped? how bout the lil plastic flange for the top of the copper tube? i suspect a problem with one of these

7920hpMercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: anobody have problems with cooling on a 7.5 merc

Yes, I have seen that little plastic piece at the top of the copper water tube, melted because motor got very hot and plug it up so water can not flow. Also, favorite place for pieces of water pump rubber to plug up. Good to check this if you are having cooling problems.

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

drop your lower unit.... hook up a hose or find a way to run water up your water tube... and see if it fills the block, exits the telltale and the exaust roughly at the same time, if you turn the water on and it instantly starts falling back down the exaust/driveshaft housing then your upper seal is toast... hes a good demonstartion on a merc 7.5 man i hear a lot of 7.5's having water pump issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWCV2mJz8Q

albertaborn

Cadet

still stuggelin with the damn motor i could swear all is good when i take lower unit off and pump it with the drill. also i got a drill with a socket and put it on the flywheel without the sparkplugs and when i turn it over i get water up to the thermostat housing, but maybe not enough rpm (only 1200) to get it out the pee hole.ive had the power head off and cleaned the relief hole and changed the base gaskets x2 and the rubber grommet around the top of the copper tube and the other lil piece at the top of that. ive changed all the gasket on this motor now even a new baffle plate. when i run it though all assembled i just get exhaust though.the only place left where maybe i havent really changed parts is the everything to do with the water pump other than the impeller, so the rubber grommets for the pickup tube,and the drive shaft seal.any any out tof the box ideas will be helpful

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

how does your motor confide? does it have the water jacket come out of the top of the exaust block then the thermostat cover then it exits the motor? try taking out the thermostat cause if you got the water to come up here, then sounds to me like there isnt a problem (seeing as if filled to the top of the block)