Annual Service estimate for 5.0 Volvo/Penta??

RXWingman

Cadet
I just received an annual service for my 2001 Reinell 203 with 5.0GL Volvo Penta, with SX outdrive and was wondering if the amount i paid was appropriate for an annual service? Below is a list of items serviced, from my invoice (2 pages below), for a total cost of $1,632.94. Both the hourly rate and the price for parts seem a bit high, especially for the impeller service. I just replaced my impeller myself in May (approx. 25-30 hours ago) and it took me less than 20 minutes to replace. I also mentioned to them I had done it, and didn't think it needed replacing. I got the old one back, and it looks fine to me - especially with less than 25 hours.

If anyone has recently done this work, or an expert/professional can tell me if this amount seems appropriate for the services i received, I would appreciate it. I questioned several of the costs, but was not able to discuss with the manager because he was out of town until next week. I would like to follow up with him when he returns.

Thank you!

Attachments

• invoice1.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 31
  • invoice2.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 19

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Annual Service estimate for 5.0 Volvo/Penta??

RXWingman,

I have to agree with your appraisal of the costs - seems excessive for the amount of work done. I do most of my own maintenance work on my two VP 5.7 liter engine w/SX drives and would have sold the boat and took up golf if it annually cost as much as you were charged. In Ohio. the marina labor costs are significantly lower at $75 to 100/hr. I personally would look for a local mechanic that can service your boat on the trailer or in the water. They often have labor rates in the $40 to $60/hr range. Try shopping on Craigs List under "services/marine". There are a number of good marine mechanics that are looking for work and willing to charge reasonable rates.

The time charged for the services also seem to be on the high side of reasonable. I have personally done all the inspections you have listed annually for each of my drives and in no-way spend the 5.5 hours you were charged for the service. Of course, if something is in need of service additional costs will be incurred. (This year inspection revealed one of my drives ingested water and had to be removed and taken to a drive service shop for a shaft seal and pressure testing, costs still pending on this one.)

You can do the water pump impeller replacement easily in an hour, and should do it every couple of years for safety sake. Also belts, engine hoses, and hydraulic hoses should be inspected and replaced as they age. My 1997 boat has had several drive bellow changes and one set of new belts, hoses are still OK but a fuel pump last year was expensive. I operate in Lake Erie and we have Zebra Mussels that sap the life of all outdrive parts. Make sure you use the correct anode for the water you boat in Mn for fresh water and AL or ZN for salt or brackish water.

A shop service manual for your drive system would be a wise purchase and will save you a bundle - if you choose to do your own work and don't mind getting your hands dirty. Otherwise get out the checkbook.

Enjoy,
erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's steep. Winterizing, oil change/filter, gear oil change, gimbel bearing lube, u joint lube, engine alignment runs around $400 or so in Honey Harbour. Add $150 to wash the bottom with taxes should run less than $700. Changing the impeller shouldn't have been done, you already did it. I don't think it is something that needs to be done yearly. Check your engine manual for the recommended service. Don't be sold on anything extra. VP knows more about the engine and drive than a greedy tech.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That seems extremely high- I am in Upstate NY and actually received a quote from one of my local marine mechanics before I did it myself and I almost thought about having them do it. They include the following:

Fog engine with a rust preventative solution thru-out engine and fuel system to protect internal engine parts. Circulate non-toxic antifreeze through engine cooling system. Change engine oil and oil+fuel filters using only quality products. Drain and refill lower unit lubricant, pressure and vacuum test lower unit if any indications of water exist, notify customer if present. Align Engine, Apply anticorrosive grease to out drive fittings, shift and throttle linkages

Cost $290 per engine.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not inline with anything I've seen - sorry.

I'm annoyed with the $737 for outdrive inspection, and then the winterize cost, and then oil/filter/shop costs. Most of the shops around me are $350 for complete inspection, winterize, and oil changes -- sold as a bundle before winter, performed by a Volvo Penta master mechanic.

$195 for bottom boat washing ?
$67 for trailer loading ?

Well, don't go back to that place anymore....

RXWingman

Cadet

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I expected that their prices were higher than norm based on being in Southern California, in a mountain lake community, and they are the only shop on the lake, but was surprised by how much they also nickeled and dimed everything. Adding 15% on top of the parts they already stock, and are already overpriced, is just greedy! I realize it's partly my fault for not asking more questions upfront, and demanding a line-item estimate, but I trusted their expertise and really didn't even imagine it could have been this expensive for a few hours work. Based on your responses, I think they are way out of line!

I will discuss with the manager my "disappointment" for all the excessive charges, and will definitely demand a refund for the impeller replacement when it was not needed. Additionally, if anyone else would like to post what charges would be more "normal" maybe I can also share it with American Express and help to get some money refunded. Doubtful, but worth a shot.

Of course... if I burn my bridges with this service center, and anything happens to me out on the lake and I need service, i could be screwed! They are literally the only game in town... Take my chances? I don't know which is worse, being stranded... or being screwed.

Thanks again for the responses.
-Scott

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let them know nicely that you think you were overcharged and leave it at that. Next, learn how to do the basic maintenance yourself, it's not that hard and it's kinda fun or else find another marine mechanic who will travel. Make sure you get an estimate before you do any of this work again.

RXWingman

Cadet

Yep, realizing there is not a lot I can do about it after the fact, except for the impeller charge- I plan on asking for a refund. I have no problem with engine work, I rebuilt my '67 charger, and work on my other cars. It was the outdrive I am unfamiliar with, and originally asked for service on, and somehow was convinced I needed an annual service. Buyer beware, get a detailed estimate- even if you trust the shop. My mistake, hope others can learn from it.

Just curious if the $134/hour rate is the highest out there? Maybe I can nominate them for the "***-rape if the year award!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

That hourly rate is outrageous, BUT, like you mentioned, he is the only guy on the lake. MONOPOLY. Basically, like it or lump it.

SteveInOregon

Recruit

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I expected that their prices were higher than norm based on being in Southern California, in a mountain lake community, and they are the only shop on the lake, but was surprised by how much they also nickeled and dimed everything. Adding 15% on top of the parts they already stock, and are already overpriced, is just greedy! I realize it's partly my fault for not asking more questions upfront, and demanding a line-item estimate, but I trusted their expertise and really didn't even imagine it could have been this expensive for a few hours work. Based on your responses, I think they are way out of line!

I will discuss with the manager my "disappointment" for all the excessive charges, and will definitely demand a refund for the impeller replacement when it was not needed. Additionally, if anyone else would like to post what charges would be more "normal" maybe I can also share it with American Express and help to get some money refunded. Doubtful, but worth a shot.

Of course... if I burn my bridges with this service center, and anything happens to me out on the lake and I need service, i could be screwed! They are literally the only game in town... Take my chances? I don't know which is worse, being stranded... or being screwed.

Thanks again for the responses.
-Scott

That is the high rich & famous Lake Arrowhead playground price, 20 miles away the middle to upper middle class Big Bear Lake price should be half that much :p