Annual non-holiday get-togethers

Carphunter

Commander
Are there certain "get-togethers" that you folks have every year without fail? Not talkin 'bout the holiday stuff. <br />...as an example. My brothers and I, along with our families go on our annual Camping/Dove hunting trip this week. I leave tomorrow at around noon for Patoka lake. We camp and hunt, and just have a great time. We head home on Monday at about noon. Probably my favorite "trip" of the year. We've been doin this for probably 15 years now. Its kinda become a tradition.<br /><br />Just curious if other folks do the same.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Annual non-holiday get-togethers

My wife and I always took a weekend every year, after the kids finished with basketball, but before baseball started, and got out of Dodge, just the two of us. It became such a tradition, that we still do it.

FSHKPR

Ensign

yep every year we along with atleast one other couple go down to kenosha stay over night in a hotel spend the day drinking long island ice tea and the night at the dog track. been doing that for the last 6 years. also right around end of january we get together with 5 other couples go to chicago and spend the weekend at a hotel by the pool. kind of like a weekend beach party. usually never leave the hotel and just stay in swim suits. we pick chicago because it is pretty much central for every one as some are coming from indiana and different parts of ill. as well as wisconsin. this will be our 10 year reunion for that one its always a good time. those are the two constants that happen every year and i really look forward to them.

Carphunter

Commander

Thanks for that well thought out reply Roscoe. :p

gaugeguy

Captain

Hunting camp in the Adirondacks week after Thanksgiving. Three uncles, 5 cousins and a dozen friends. My sons will be going in 2 years, they will be the 4th generation of my family to hunt there since my grandfather started it in 1947.<br /><br />If anyone is ever in Childwold NY that week, stop in at Dumas' bar and look for the guys in the "Half-Way House" hunting camp shirts...that's our group.

Carphunter

Commander

GG, how many kids do you have? Just the two boys?<br />I got two myself that are really starting to get into huntin. My boys are 10 and 8 yrs old now.<br /><br />I will be huntin some land this year that I have never deer hunted. The land where I did the Turkey guiding I can also deer hunt. I now have access to a couple thousand acres of private farm land. Its a hunters dream. I've been huntin alone for so many years, its gonna take some gettin used to huntin with other folks, but the people that i'm huntin with are some of the best people I have ever met.<br /><br />I'm also setting my boys up for the future. They will not have to worry about having a place to hunt as they grow up now.<br /><br />You'll have to e-mail me sometime so we can share some of our huntin pics. SBN has my e-mail address, (I already got yours ;) )<br /><br />Couple more hours and i'm outta here til next Tuesday! :D

gaugeguy

Captain

My boys, just have 2, are 7 and 6. They are both shooting (bb guns and .22's) and my oldest is shooting a bow already. They are still young though and have a hard time sitting still for long periods of time (10 minutes), so they hunt in home made ground blinds with me.<br /><br />It's a hard sell with their mother to let them go out with me, she thinks they are still too young. But I have instilled a love of the outdoors and weapon safety in them, and they are into it...much to Karen's chargrin!!!<br /><br />Drop me an e-mail anytime, I love talkin huntin ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well Carphunter, I DID think about that question for a long time, hoping to come up with something, just so I could appear somewhat normal and be included. :( <br /><br />But all I could do was answer the question that was asked.

Carphunter

Commander

Well guys, i'm off.<br /><br /> Everybody have a nice Labor day weekend. :) <br /><br />I'll be back next Tuesday, and I just know I'll be missed. :p <br /><br />(I was just funnin with ya Roscoe) :D

aspeck

Staff member

Man, I thought he would never leave!

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

On the third sat in May we get together at L. Kincaid just outside of Alexandria, La. for the homecoming and clean the graves of people on my dads side of the family. Talk about the old times then have a big lunch.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> Man, I thought he would never leave!
Me too so I could post :D <br /><br />every spring a week fishing/camping with fish/hunt partner<br /><br />a week later Mrs.Link and I go to Seaside Or for Amateur radio convention.. 4 days..<br /><br />every fall a week hunting/camping<br /><br />Oh forgot.. every year Mrs.Link and her mom go out to dinner on my birthday! :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Whew! Its about time he left. I thought we were going to have to invite him to "our" Labor Day Weekend get together.<br /><br />OK, I've got the 10# of walleye, aspeck, to got the corn on the cob and taters, right? And Link, are you still bringing the bait and beer? :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Roscoe: Will bring both the bait and beer. and the smoked corn! :)

aspeck

Staff member

Man do I have the corn - neighbor has more than he knows what to do with - it is good, too! Picked a pick-up full last weekend! YUM!