Annual Maintenance

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice
I am very close to pulling the trigger on my new boat. I am trying to learn as much as I can prior to ordering so I am confortable with what I am jumping into.

I will be using the boat in saltwater primarily, so I know I need to flush the engine after each trip or a weekend of fun. However, I am trying to get a grasp on what yearly maintenance I will need to have do or complete myself. I will be winterizing the boat and I got a quote from my dealer to do this. What should this include so I can check how 'complete' their winterizing is.

Thanks for helping out a newbie,

Jon

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Annual Maintenance

Without anymore information about engine and drive size & type, can't give you any specific examples.

Here are some threads on basic Winterizing, and Summerizing your engine and drive.
And HERE is a link to a 2001 Mercruiser Owners manual. with a maintenance schedule. The Maint. Schedule is about the same as a new one.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

The boat I am planning on getting will have the Vovlo GXi 5.0, 270 HP engine with the SX drive. This will be on a 2008 Chaparral

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I would suggest a Volvo maintenance manual, it will tell you what needs to be done. You're going to need the manual anyway.