Anchoring

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to the larger boat thing, I have a 23 foot Chapparral bow rider, and I can not seem to get the anchor to hold. It is a "cleat" anchor that I am told should be fine with this boat.(It is actually the one it originally came with) As I find a spot I point the boat into the current and toss the anchor, then drift. I am told it should catch, but never does. Can anyone give me advice on how to stay anchored 20-30 feet off shore for swimming and such? Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anchoring

There are some really good threads on anchoring and chain etc. etc. The first thing is I am not sure what a cleat style is. Most common are fluke or Danforth style.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/products/3/40785_fluke_style_anchor.html <br /><br />If you mean what I call a Navy style anchor (looks like one from a big ship), then that might be the issue as they are not very good at digging in. I personally would use chain length equal to the length of your boat attached to a fluke style rated for your size boat. If you let out enough scope then it should hold in the situation you describe depending on the bottom. Scope is the total length of chain and line that you have let out, some say it needs to be at least 3 x depth or more, but I modify that depending on the conditions and the length of time I am planning to stay at anchor, the better hold I need the longer the scope.<br /><br />Here's is another thread, and of course a lot of opinions. I am defnitely a chain guy . . . Good luck!!<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012494#000000

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

I get the chain part, makes total sense. I guess I have a hard time with the total Scope part,3-5 times the depth. So if I am in 20 ft of water I should let out 60-100 feet of rope and chain. That means I am going to be 40-60 ft from the anchor. This is to create a better angle for the rope? I guess that makes since, but doesn't that create a chance other boats may get in your achor rope? Lets say I am in 50ft of water and then I need 250 ft of rope so I am 200 ft from the anchor with that rope exposed? Does that make any sense ? New guy that just needs to understand. Thanks. How do you mark your rope to know what you let out? black marker?

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

Also, what is the best way to attatch the chain to the anchor and then the rope to the chain?

KRS

Banned

Remember, your rope isn't floating, the 250 ft of rope (in your example), only a few feet would be within 20' of the surface. Be sure to understand your state laws concerning anchoring, sometimes they require that you display a white light.<br />As for attachment, the chain attaches to the anchor with a special device, they can be found at any retail outlet for anchors, they are a "D" ring. As for the rope to the chain, I would tie a figure eight on a bite, or any other knot meant to tie around a fixed object (in the eye of the chain).

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

they are a "D" ring. As for the rope to the chain, I would tie a figure eight on a bite, or any other knot meant to tie around a fixed object (in the eye of the chain).<br /><br />Any more description or info. on this would be helpfull to me. THANKS

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Matt,<br /><br />Don't get me started on this one. I really like my 20' of chain. I do agree that with proper scope a short chain should work fine in most situations.

cistn

Seaman Apprentice

i have 16' skiff, i use a chain also and have a small anchor. mine finds home pretty easily it's a danforth style...also if some idiot comes that close to you when your anchored report him to the coast guard and let them see if he has taken a boaters ed. course... even a basic course tell you that if a vessle is NOT underway. (which is very easy to see) then the boat underpower must take appropropriate action to avoid interference.

BillP

Captain

If not using all chain 3:1 scope is pretty short to keep the anchor set. Chain weight keeps the pull angle horizontal to the bottom...more scope does it too. Use 5:1 scope minimum for the water depth plus height of hull with short chain and rope.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

wmteich, a purpose-made anchor line has an eye already braided into it. Inside the eye is a metal or plastic piece called a thimble. This is important because it protects the rope from abrasion and allowing your boat to break loose from its anchor. if you use plain rope and put a loop in it, the chain will eventually saw through the rope. <br /><br />Use a shackle to join the rope and chain. The "bolt" part of the shackle goes through the chain link and the "loop" part of the shackle goes through the eye in the rope. Use a plastic zap-strap through the tiny hole in the bolt head to keep the bolt from unscrewing. Use a shackle in exactly the same way to join the chain to the anchor. Do not try to anchor without chain. The few times that it seems to work will lull you into a very false sense of security.<br /><br />To anchor:<br />1. Enter the anchorage with the wind in your face.<br />2. Check the direction other boats are pointing. They should all be pointing the same way due to wind and/or current.<br />3. Find a spot to drop the anchor. Don't throw it, lower it. You'll feel it hit bottom.<br />4. Get the boat going slowly in reverse, either with power or using the wind.<br />5. When you have 5:1 or 6:1 scope out, hold the anchor line tightly in your hands. You will feel the anchor grab, the boat will STOP and the line will try and pull you forward...hang on!<br />6. The boat will move slightly forward as the chain and rope sink. You're now hooked. Tie the rope off to a cleat.<br />7. If the anchorage is tight, you can pull rope back in until you're at 3:1 scope. That will keep your swinging circle smaller. Remember, everyone else will be swinging too, so interference shouldn't be a problem.<br />8. If anchoring overnight, let the line back out to 5:1. If the wind comes up, let even more line out. That is what will keep you in place more than anything.<br />9. Never tie off an anchor at the stern.

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to All; great advice. I know what I was doing wrong now.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Stratocaster:<br /> Do not try to anchor without chain. The few times that it seems to work will lull you into a very false sense of security.<br />
On the contrary, anchoring with short scope on chain is what lulls you into a false sense of security. When the wind pipes up it straightens the chain and makes it null and void for keeping the line at a low horizontal angle to the bottom. The angle depends on anchor type.<br /><br />I swam around anchorages for 2 yrs with a mask watching anchored boats in all but hurricane conditions. Even ALL chain anchor rodes straighten up with 5:1 in storm conditions. It is more prudent to use enough scope instead of relying on chain to do it for you. Chain is for chafe and quicker setting. Long scope on all rope is better than short scope and chain. The angle of the rode is critical in keeping the anchor set, not the material of the rode.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

9. Never tie off an anchor at the stern.<br />
No rule without exception. Over here, we would almost always anchor off the stern, as the bow would nearly always be tied to the shore. We usually even have the anchor winches installed at the stern only, often using all chain.<br /><br />Here's how it usually looks.<br /><br /> Anchored at shore<br /><br /> Typical stern installation <br /><br />But, yes, if laying at sway, without the shore line, it is of course best to meet the wind and waves bow first.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having anchored in a multitude of bottoms in all but hurricane conditions, and having demonstrated rope VS chain while teaching Power Squadron classes, I stand by my comments above.<br /><br />If you have set the right anchor for sea bottom conditions, have enough of the right chain, and the correct scope for the wind/swinging conditions, your anchor will never pull out.<br /><br />Stevens, I know everyone anchors by the stern in Scandinavia. You're right, it's the exception.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Stratocaster - No argument here, and no challenge intended, I think you are perfectly right.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Stratocaster:<br /> Having anchored in a multitude of bottoms in all but hurricane conditions, and having demonstrated rope VS chain while teaching Power Squadron classes, I stand by my comments above.<br /><br />If you have set the right anchor for sea bottom conditions, have enough of the right chain, and the correct scope for the wind/swinging conditions, your anchor will never pull out.<br /><br />
No offense intended but where did the don't use chain because it gives a false sense of security go to? Now you are right..."correct scope for the wind..."<br /><br />One rant here. Flauting experience of "demonstrating" anchoring for Power Squadron classes is fine and dandy around the social group. I did the Power Sqadron when I first started boating. It's a nice primer for the beginner. I guess I can flaunt experience too...40+ yrs of boating 12 months a year, 24 months on the anchor while cruising, 10+ yrs livaboard and multiple yrs of mooring sailboats up to 42'on my own moorings, 3 ratings from the USCG (3 months of full time school training to pass the tests). I've anchored with all chain, partial chain, no chain, with different anchors, different bottoms and in multiple hurricanes. There's more but I won't go there. Bottom line is your original statement about chain and false security needs some polish. Otherwise, your students are going to have a boat on the beach when the winds and seas pick up. So just how many days a year do you get to anchor in BC anyway?

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

So just how many days a year do you get to anchor in BC anyway?
Sounds a bit defensive there, Bill. I boat year-round, and never have to winterize my boat. If you knew basic geography, you'd know that!<br /><br />
I did the Power Sqadron when I first started boating. It's a nice primer for the beginner.
You're right, Power Squadron is excellent for a beginning boater. I have AP designation and deckhanded for a few years on a commercial fishboat. Just so you know I have some relevant experience here in BC where we don't anchor much ~<br /><br />Anyway, this isn't the place for a pissing contest.<br /><br />Anchor with chain. Use enough scope. Buy a book. Anchor correctly. Perhaps think twice about talking to experienced boaters. Even they will disagree.

BillP

Captain

Yep, I'm highly defensive of people having their boats go on the beach when the wind blows hard. When I see statements that could lead someone into a dangerous situation I feel obligated to respond. That's all there is to it.<br /><br />I cringe when seeing 3:1 or 5:1 suggested for anything other than a lunch hook in fair weather. There's a good reason every major authority since Dutton says 5:1 is a minimum...with ALL chain. Make that 7:1 for all other rode combinations.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill, I never advised anyone to use 3:1 overnight. Perhaps you should re-read what I said above. Here's one quote:<br /><br />
8. If anchoring overnight, let the line back out to 5:1. If the wind comes up, let even more line out. That is what will keep you in place more than anything.
I never gave any advice that's going to result in anyone waking up on the beach. Come on.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Stratocaster:<br /> [QB] Do not try to anchor without chain. The few times that it seems to work will lull you into a very false sense of security.[QB] <br /><br /><br />Like I already responded...That statement is misleading. It causes people to anchor short and at 5:1. When the wind picks up it can straighten the line and the anchor pulls out. Waiting until the wind picks up to let scope out is poor seamanship. Why? Because the anchor may have already been upset to the verge of breaking out...you are not guaranteed it will reset. Go cruising a couple of years and you will learn this is factual by seeing which boats drag. <br /><br />Again, chain is for chafe and faster setting. Scope (regardless of rode material)is for keeping the rode horizontal. Less angle on the anchor is what helps keep it from pulling up/out instead of digging in...chain keeps the line down UNTIL the conditions stretch it tight...then it is the same leverage as a no chain rode. All it takes is heavy weather anchoring to learn it the practical way.