Anchoring Help!

Bigred25

Recruit
Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 sea ray 240 sundeck with fiberglass swim platform and hydraulic trim tabs, which I just purchased last year. I am currently looking for a anchoring solution, as my family and I are still somewhat young and like to travel, so we stay at various rental cabins and camping resorts. So I am looking for a way to anchor the boat that does not include mooring it to a dock as for most docks cannot hold this large heavy boat especially in moderate wind and chop. I was looking into a talon system versus the power pole since the talon would be just a single whole cut into the swim deck versus a arm that swings out and down. The pole anchoring systems I know are intended for bass boats and fishing, but I am wondering if this system would work for my boat as a way to anchor it by the dock for extended period of time with moderate wind and chop? Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I stay in freshwater lakes some are quite large but not talking superior or ocean in size.

Thank you to all who respond in an appropriate manner.

Best regards and have a blessed day!

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Seems to me you’re overthinking the scenario.
Why not just use a proper anchor at the bow and tie off a line to from the stern to the dock or shore? I‘ve done this dozens of times.

Bigred25

Recruit
The only time that I have had an anchor actually hold without moving is on a dead calm day. Unfourteanatly I cannot control the weather; as much as I would like to.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve anchored my boats (15‘ to 34’) overnight for 30+ years - often in windy and rough conditions- without concern. Maybe you need to get more practice and take a hard look at your ground tackle to assure it’s appropriate for your rig. Both of your options are expensive and invasive to your boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The only time that I have had an anchor actually hold without moving is on a dead calm day.
then you are doing something wrong, or have the wrong anchor

what kind of anchor?
how much chain are you running on the line?
how much scope are you paying out?

your rode should have a 5:1 scope on a calm day and between 7:1 and 10:1 on a rough day

power poles and talon poles work great when its calm, however as soon as a few waves come, the boat has moved. so now, in rough water, your boat is not where you left it. so now you have a hole in your boat that has washed away due to wind and waves

been anchoring for decades. toss one anchor out about 75 feet behind the boat, bring the other up on shore and tie to a tree

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This has gone away from anchoring at a dock because the dock can't hold your boat in wind and waves.

Have you had the boat pull a dock down or are you guessing?