Anchored myself to a stop sign...

jstubble

Cadet
I have a 14' Aluminum Jon Boat, and was coming home one evening from my favorite Bass fishing hole at Chambers Lank in Hibernia Park, in Coatesville, PA, which is about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia. <br /><br />Anyway, as I drove home, I kept hearing this weird grating noise, and a sound of metal dragging on asphalt – I looked out my rear-view and didn’t see anything odd, so I thought it was just my truck making funny noises. As I was rounding a particularly sharp corner, I heard a twanging stretching sound of my trailer straps pulling against my aluminum boat, and then a loud snap of what I thought was a rock hitting a road sign. Weird, but no big deal…kept driving.<br /><br />I got home, and looked at the back of my boat, there was about 3 feet of anchor rope dangling down off the back of the boat, all frayed and ripped, with no anchor attached! <br /><br />Here I had been dragging my boat anchor about 40 feet behind my boat (it must have bounced out of the boat on my ride home) and, as I later discovered by retracing my drive, it had eventually caught anchored itself to a stop sign as I rounded the sharp corner, and snapped my anchor line!<br /><br />I didn’t dare tell anyone, until now. The scary part is that I'm looking to upgrade to a 24' sea ray in the next week or so...

Realgun

Commander
Re: Anchored myself to a stop sign...

And I thought the city had flooded. :) Good thing the rope snapped hope your boats ok.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Some one once told me that you have check your equipment and secure them away after you have done boating. I think that was a very good advise. What I do now is before I leave to house with my boat hitch to the pickup I check all equipment are tied down and hopefully is loose and then tow the boat to the ramp. After boating and loading up the boat to the trailer I check again to make sure that all equipment are tied down and secure for the trip home. The first time I didn't do this I lost 2 life jacket somewhere from the house to the boat ramp. Lesson learn and would not forget (hopefully!!).

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

LOL...thats a good one. The Calgary version of that trick is to drag an extension cord behind your vehicle after forgetting to unplug your car during the winter.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Slip it, won't happen agian!<br /> :D

Marauderk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i was 16 or 17 me and a friend went fishing at a small pond down from my house in my little jon boat. On the way there driving down several dirt roads and going thru a couple cattle crossings my truck started acting funny and did not feel right.<br /><br />Well figured i would check on it at the ramp and when we pulled up and jumped out to get everything ready i found that my anchor had come out of the boat hooked a cattle grate and that i had been dragging a 4'x6' grate along behind me for over a mile. <br /><br />Was very embaressing and we had to run the thing back down the road and put it back in before the cattle figured out it was gone lol. the owner saw us out there putting it back down and asked what happen LOL we said it looked loose and figured we had better get it down right

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boated with a neighbor when I was in my teens. One time we got back to his house and found the anchor had bounced out of the boat.... and WAS STILL THERE. It had not broke off :p . It was one of those plastic coated mushroom type anchors. Needless to say, the bottom of the anchor had NO plastic coating :D :D :D