Anchor?

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there,
I need some advice on what kind of anchor to get for my 16', I plan to use it on a corp lake but I don't know how deep it is.
Thanks in advaance....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anchor?

It is not the depth that determines the anchor type but the type bottom you are anchoring in.

The depth and wind speed will determine how much anchor line you will need though.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We probably need more info on what the lake is like; wind ,size etc.Generally a Danforth anchor(not danforth style) is very effective.
Rule of thumb you need rope about 7 times the depth for a proper anchoring.If it is generally calm with little current then less will work
If it is windy you may need to add 3 to 6 feet of chain at the anchor called a "rode"(?)
If it is a simple lake w little wind you could make an anchor with a gallon can of concrete with an eye bolt set in it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Danforth type is a good all around anchor except if you have rocky or weedy bottom. They have the advantage of holding well in most bottoms and they are relatively inexpensive. For your boat, 4 lb danforth type would be enough as a "lunch hook"

anchor line: you need about six feet of chain at the anchor for a Danforth type. Total line should be (conventional wisdom) seven tomes the depth of the water plus height of attachment above the water

So if the water is 2 feet deep and the line is attached to the boat three feet above the water, you should pay out 5X7 or 35 feet of line including chain. The chain helps the anchor to dig in.

If you do not intend to anchor in fast currents, a 10 lb mushroom might be ok. A lot of fishermen use them.

But all things said, you really need to know the bottom type and depth to get the best anchor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I just bought a Fortress anchor for my boat and I love it. It is light and holds well. It is very expensive and worth every penny. The cheapest one is the FX-7 and is a little over $80.

arthat

Seaman

Hi Bowrider,

If you like, you can sign up for my newsletter: Insider Boating Tips, below. There is a three part tip series on anchors and anchoring which will more than likely give you some fuel for thought and hopefully direct you to an educated decision. As stated above by others, bottom conditions, depth, windage and current strength rule.

Successful Boating

Art