Anchor wieght??

dkhntr

Seaman
I have a 19 ft Bayliner open bow. I figure the boat is about 2,200 lbs give or take. How heavy of a mushroom anchor do I need for day boating. Sometimes choppy water on a lake?

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anchor wieght??

Type of bottom dictates the type and size anchor along with size/type of boat

dkhntr

Seaman

Well that didnt help LCM :D :D . I want a mushroom for just quick tossing. And Ireally think only two anchors is all I will ever need for what I do. I already have a Danforth for the longer stays and river anchoring. But I just want to be able to toss something over real quick and pull it up faster than the Danforth.<br /><br />Vee hull. Fiberglass. Mostly mud/weed bottom. Like I said, it would just be for a couple hours at a time.

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 10# mushroom ought to do it with a 3/8 nylon rode.<br />The scope of the rode is as important as the weight of the anchor. The shorter the stay the less holding power<br /><br />I have one that would hold my 17' Whaler as long as the tide and wind didn't start working together.

dkhntr

Seaman

Thanks alot LCM. That sounds good!! I feel better now. I just went out and bought an 18 pounder. What is the amount of rode is it 5 times the depth? And should I use chain?<br /><br />LCM, Were/are you in the Navy? I am just wondering because of your name or is it your initials. I keep thinking when I see you that you are staioned on a Landing Craft support ship.

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dkhntr <br /><br />Yep I'm an old Amphib Sailor.<br />My operated and repaired various Landing Craft.<br />Check my profile and home pg.<br /><br />5x of rode is plenty.<br /><br />Chain not necessary on a mushroom you don't have to tip it over like a danforth to dig in.<br /><br />I do like a swivel to keep the a-- holes out.

dkhntr

Seaman

That's cool! I was in the Marines as a AAV driver. The best part of this was driving off the back of the ships. You would dip under water a little and not one of the seals were any good. So when you had "green" troops in the back along with sheets of water comming in, wellsome of these guys REALLY freaked out. Did you ever work on those LCAC's? Those were some huge beasts!<br /><br />BTW, thanks for the info.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I drove an 18' capri for a couple of years and learned this. A mushroom anchor wouldn't hold if there was any kind of wind or current. The boat just pulled it along. The lake here has a mud bottom and the mushroom anchor just couldn't hold.