Anchor stuck for 2nd time

alldodge

Staff member
Fresh water lake
1st time anchor was stuck it was in 40 ft of water and storm moving in. Laid the chain out toward shore and pick a spot on shore, was a steep bank. Bottom was mostly mud and tree stumps. Came back next day with dive gear and a buddy. We went to the bottom and I started swimming and buddy hung on to me and drug his hand thru mud and found the chain. Connect, real it in and got the anchor, all good

This time, I'm in 25 feet and no buddy but cove is smaller and has a gradual bank. Drop end of chain in about 2 ft and can see it. Going back tomorrow so should be easier, I hope. Have anchored in this cove a hundred times and never got hung.

Never say never

tpenfield

Staff member
It seems like it happens with lake boating since there can be so many obstacles on the lake bottom.

I assume that you will see if you can get the anchor to 'spin around' by pulling it in the opposite direction that it was set.

alldodge

Staff member
I assume that you will see if you can get the anchor to 'spin around' by pulling it in the opposite direction that it was set.

Did all that same as 1st time. Its hung big time and being all chain, there is no cut and run. Having the dive gear and shallow water, my guess is its wedged under a big stump and just not enough power to rip it out

My stern was coming out of the water slightly. Would not hit it real hard because it would just break things

flashback

Captain
Most of my boating life has been on sail on a 6k boat.. too much chain will prevent the anchor from hooking. For lake use I like about 8 feel of chain ..I always looked for a lee shore and waited it out always watching for wind shifts..

alldodge

Staff member
too much chain will prevent the anchor from hooking.
Don't want to get way out, but I have to ask how is that possible?

flashback

Captain
Don't want to get way out, but I have to ask how is that possible?
It probably has a lot to do with the procedure for setting anchor, the chain lays on the bottom and prevents the anchor from setting especially in the evening when the wind dies down and you have no umph to bite in...

southkogs

Staff member
I lost two this year. WAY early I had what's called a river anchor (been using it for about 10 years) get hung in 60'. Couldn't get it back. Switched a danforth and lost it just a few weeks ago - same thing about 40' got hung up and couldn't it released either. - I'm with ya' AD ... Never say never.

alldodge

Staff member
It probably has a lot to do with the procedure for setting anchor, the chain lays on the bottom and prevents the anchor from setting especially in the evening when the wind dies down and you have no umph to bite in...
Ah no, been doing this stuff for more then 50 years. Its a Bruce (claw) anchor and all chain, no rode

The claw can slide under a stump root. If its a big one the boat does not have enough power to rip the stump out from the bottom.

flashback

Captain
I misunderstood, your anchor is setting too good and you can't retrieve it. I thought it wasn't setting properly. I never had a Bruce, mine were always Danforth style. I guess you could put a trip line on it?

alldodge

Staff member
Got it up, had dropped in between what look like a rock groove. The slot was maybe 18 inches long and about 1 inch wide or so. It was just by chance the side fluke of the anchor fell directly into it. Pulling it straight up, and angle or backwards would not pull it out. I picked it up and came right out with no resistance sideways. Took maybe 10 seconds of bottom time

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Had exactly this a few times over the years. Also with a bruce and same bottom condition. Learned quickly that the answer is usually to put the boat in gear and drive forward over the top of it. Always worked for me.

robert graham

Admiral
I knew a guy who fished the rock jetties which were bad to snag anchors…he started using concrete blocks for anchors….lots cheaper to replace…

flashback

Captain
It's good you were able to retrieve it, I'm guessing you had a scuba outfit, maybe not but good deal! You run full chain and would have been a significant loss.