Anchor rope, salt water/ brine Replacement

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my aft anchor is a slide ring on a 3-strand twist. my bow anchor is a danforth, 8' of stainless chain, and 300' of 3-strand twist. I do have 24' of boat vs your 15'

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Adding some chain between the anchor and line will help the anchor lay right to hold your boat with the river current. With brackish water, a good SS chain like Scott mentioned or if you use non-SS chain, watch for rust weakening it.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Really depends on the current you are anchoring in as to what strength anchor line you need and the composition of the bottom as to the style and weight of anchor. Generally 5X water depth is plenty for anchor line length.

Talk to people in the area about what anchors work best for your size boat. They know the bottom and current conditions. What works well for me in a mild current river with heavy clay bottom may be inadequate for you.

Ned L

Commander
Yep,..... 3/8 is more than heavy enough line.
Galvanized chain is also 100% fine and costs less than S.S. A good couple of feet would be a very good idea.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I like nylon. Poly breaks. Nylon stretches and resists most everything....but it does sink and that's ok for an anchor line....for a ski rope I'll take poly hands down....it floats.

Ned L

Commander
Yep,.. I would never use Polypropylene for an anchor rhode. It doesn't stretch, is not particularly abrasion resistant and is subject to UV degradation. Any one of those three are reason enough.