Anchor light wiring

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm currently working on an older Chris craft, as it is the nav lights work fine, as does the anchor light. The issue is they are on two separate switches and in order to have the anchor light working the nav lights have to be on also. It's a dual use light with aft and fwd bulbs. At anchor I don't think the nav lights should be on. Any thoughts? This appears to be how it was setup from factory. I'm surprised the wiring looks as good as it does.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, Nav should not be ON at anchor. Check for a diode on the switch

NavSwitch w diode.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have to get to the switches, Really almost impossible to get to as they are in the helm, and the shift throttle setups will have to be removed to access the switches. Poor set up for service. And it's two separate switches for anchor and running lights.

alldodge

Staff member
With 2 separate switches (read that at first but...) I need to see the back of the switches

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Wish I could get a pic. Impossible unless the entire dash id disassembled. Fortunately there is still the factory wiring coded in the manuals file but in order to follow the harness first I have to get to it!.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Update. The new nav/anchor light arrived, I set up a test with it as it can't be mounted yet. It worked perfectly in anchor and nav positions. I'm figuring the old light was shorted internally or something as it would not operate properly before. So glad I don't have to un-bolt the helm to get behind there. Thanks' to all who offered advice.