anchor buddy

riptide116

Seaman
Hello All<br /><br />Has anyone used the "Anchor Buddy"?<br />instructions are simple but I would shure like to pick some brains before I put trust in a 'bunji cord' attachment to my anchor,it being the 4th of july weekend no one is gonna be in the office at the place that makes em to answer my questions.<br /><br />Any suggetions/comments ?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: anchor buddy

My suggestion is, wait till next weekend to buy one. I've been curious about those myself.

riptide116

Seaman

I allready bought it,sent e-mails to folks who make em...<br />Want to use it this weekend,got a 2nd anchor to run with it allso (for backup)rather not have my boat depend on a bunji cord.<br /><br />Everything else I have 'over-engennered' and well the cute little pictures on side of package just dont say enuf.<br /><br />I would rather not have my vessle endanger others or drift away during use (overnighter planed for the 4th-rather sleep on shore than on the little boat-I am a big guy!)

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Crazy, I've used an anchor buddy for the last 3 years and think it's a great tool. Used it just this past weekend. Set your anchor farther out than you normally would then back in towards shore. Have a long rope attached to a rear cleat. When you get to shallow water get out with the rope and allow your boat to be pulled away from the shore. Attach this rope to a stake, tree, heavy rock.... this keeps the boat from swinging and allows you to pull it back in when you're ready to go out again.

Downeastah

Recruit

Hello, New to this board, had to register to post a reply. I have used them in the past with good success. I live in WAY downeast Maine with 20 + foot tides. The problem I have is I have snapped them by dropping the anchor too soon while still motoring to the beach. I plan to order two the next time to give me even more stretch.

riptide116

Seaman

sounds like I must have bought a good investment for my boat,I got pounded by waves from cargo vessle...seaweed-sand-200 gallons of water in hold...<br />not to mention the hull could have been messed up if I was on somthing other than sand.<br /><br />idiot pictures show to tie a loop in anchor line 45 ft from anchor,clip to that loop and c-clamp to anchor chain...is this correct ?

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crazy, I attach mine directly to my anchor chain then to bow eye. I only use it in shallow water close to shore.

riptide116

Seaman

well it works great,did 4th of July on beach,anchor buddy works great,1 or 3 drawbacks...<br />when tide comes in & boat is now further out than at low tide,pulling in anchor so you can acces your boat or turning on anchor light @ sunset..<br /><br />2. need lots of line from boat to beach when tide is out,best to run 2 land lines instead of 1.<br /><br />3.dual anchoring has a tendency of getting tangeld when its time to pull up both anchors (its gonna happen regardless)<br /><br />other than that I had a good time,great show & I found out that its better to sleep on the boat than on shore because there is no sand fleas that live on my boat!.

mooregecko

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the posts, I am definately going to buy one too. How much are they? Do you recommend a brand?

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I love mine. A must have for the lake. I'm on my second one though; forgot I was anchored and took off. Anchor Buddy is the brand and here is their website.<br /><br /> http://www.anchorbuddy.com/ <br /><br />-Beer

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Just my take. We love ours. I did cut through one last year with our prop by accident...reversed to fast, and cut it.<br /><br />We drop it with the anchor, motor in to the dock, drop a loose line tied at the dock and the boat floats between the 2 lines. No bumpers, dock marks, etc. <br /><br />I use a empty washer fluid bottle to tie the anchor buddy to and let it float in the water when we leave for the day. Come back in, clip it on the boat, grab the line tied to the dock, and we're good to go. Takes 30 seconds. I pull the anchor up only when we leave for the week.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the only problem i see is i prefer my bow to be toward the in coming waves. either natural, or from boat traffic. thinking about it, i guess that could be done, by attaching a pulley to the anchor buddy bunjee, and using a long bow line, you set the anchor, with bowline thru pulley, go to shore, secure stearn line, tighten up bowline to pull bow out. haven't figure out how to get bow back yet. i guess a 2nd bow line. sounds like a hassel.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I don't know your particular set up, but where I'm at, the biggest waves I get are if a deck boat is on the lake...so for me its not an issue.<br /><br />Although I could just swing the boat around and then reverse it in close to the dock, and tie the dock line on the back. Either way, no problem.<br /><br />I personally love not have the bumpers to haul around taking up space. On a 18ft bow rider storage is already at a premium.