Anchor , Bow light switch...

I'm trying to install a new achor, bow light switch that has a clear toggle that is illuminated orange...If you can imagine the bottom of the switch, it has three contacts in a row, on one side of the switch and two contacts in a row on the other side of the switch....The middle contact of the three is the hot, the contact before and the contact after the middle contact, switches one light to the other...the two contacts on the other side of the switch light up the toggle itself..one contact takes power, with a jumper from the center contact from the other side of the switch ,with the power, and the other of the two contacts goes to ground...From memory...the center of the toggle should be "off"...one direction with the switch should turn on the anchor light only, and if you move the switch to the opposite side of off you should have both the bow and the anchor light on at the same time...The problem I'm having is,not having the bow light and the anchor light on at the same time..the only thing I can accomplish, is to have the bow light on, or the anchor light on, by themselves..<br /><br />proof reading this really confused me more...sorry guys...<br /><br />help?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Anchor , Bow light switch...

If I was you I would go and buy a switch made for this function at a Marine store. These switches are made to turn on the anchor light in first postion and anchore and bow light in the other position. There made for the marine enviroment.<br /><br />With the switch you have you will have to install a diodes to get it to work right. Your switch need to be rated at TWICE the current that all your lights will draw. The diode needs to have at LEAST TWICE the current rating of the lights.<br /><br />Wire the diode from the top contact to the bottom contact. Make sure the band end is conected to your top contact going to the red/green lights.<br /><br />Wire the center contact to 12 volts thru a fuse. <br /><br />Wire the bottom contact to your Anchor all around white light.<br /><br />Wire the top contact to your bow light or lights (Red and Green or red/green)<br /><br />If you already have your switch installed then all you need do is install the diode but make sure the end with the band is connected to the contact that go to your bow red/green light.<br /><br />In one postion only the anchor light will come on and in the other postion BOW and Anchor lights will come on.<br /><br />Good Luck

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

As Boatist says...you need the diode, this will allow the bow light to feed the anchor light but not the other way around.

18rabbit

Captain

Well, it can be done with a diode but isn't necessary. Search for a thread on the same topic by Realgun, I think. I posted a contact matrix and pics on how to 'program' the switch with jumpers. Easy to do and will give you running lights + anchor on one throw and just the anchor on the other throw.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

18rabbit is correct if you have a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch with center off. It sounds like you have a single pole double throw (SPST) switch. With the SPST switch you either need a single diode or a relay.<br /><br />The single diode needs to be capable of handling the anchor light current only. The power goes to the center, common, of the switch. The anchor light connects to one pole and the bow lights to the other pole. A diode is connected so current will flow from the bow light terminal of the switch to the anchor light terminal. The band goes to the ANCHOR light side. Boatist has it backwards.<br /><br />When you are in the anchor light position only the anchor light will light because the diode will be reverse biased. When you switch to the bow light position, both the nav lights and the anchor light will light. The anchor light will light because the diode will be forward biased.

Wow,<br /><br />Now for some homework...All this info. will help greatly...I forgot to say in my original post...the origianal switch was connected to a "breaker" type device...it's black with a little white button in the center...is this the diode? The boat is a 16ft. Sylvan aluminum bass boat...the switch was purchased from Boaters World, on the package it says...on/off/on...the reason why I purchased an illuminated one, is so I can see if in the dark when I need my lights...the other switches I have are bilge,front/back fish finder, and lights...<br /><br />thanks for all the help!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The black thing with the white button is a circuit breaker, it is not a diode.<br /><br />on/off/on means it's a three position switch and the center position is off. Not all double throw switches have a center off position.<br /><br />Go to Radio Shack and get a diode. You can calculate the current requirement using watts law. Current equals the anchor light wattage divided by tweleve (12 volts). Almost any diode rated for the current range you'll be in will handle the voltage. The PIV (peak inverse voltage) rating of the diode has to be greater than 15 volts.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No recreational boat anchor light is more than 25 watts or so. Any 3 amp or more diode will work. Get a 5 just to be safe.<br /><br />And make sure everything is wired to the proper polarity (battery positive goes to the center switch terminal, negative goes to the lead from the anchor light which is not connected to the switch.<br /><br />Lights are not polarity sensitive and will work either way UNLESS you put the diode into the picture. <br /><br />Ain't electricity fun?

Realgun

Commander

Why are you wasting time with a Diode or a relay?<br />18Rabbit steered me right.<br /><br />Wire 1 side to just the bow lights and then wire the other side to both. :) <br /><br />7- -8<br />3- -4<br />1- -2<br />5- -6<br /><br />Basically a DPDT switch with light.<br />7-8 is the LED light<br />3 or 4 is to the bow lights or 5 or 6 does not matter<br />1 or 2 goes to fused power<br />mate up 3 and 5 and then 1 wire to the stern or anchor light or mate up 4 and 6 and then 1 wire to the stern or anchor.<br /><br />I used a small spade on 4 and then a double spade on 6.<br />From 6 in this example 1 wire from 6 goes to 4 and the other goes to the anchor light.<br /><br />Hope this helps you out.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Reason for the diode is because he does not have a Double pole double throw center off switch. He has a single pole double throw center off switch.<br /><br />So if he has to buy a switch why not get a marine switch for navigation lights. Pin one 12 volts pin 2 anchor light pin 3 bow lights. Desgined for the marine enviroment so after two years he not buying another switch.<br /><br />Switch off = no lights<br />Switch postion one = Anchor light<br />Switch postion two = anchor light and bow light.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, but if he puts a diode in he can claim his nav lighting system is solid-state-controlled and add $12.78 to the resale value of the boat :)<br /><br />Don't laugh the ploy is used in many home appliances and other consumerables where they want you to think you're buying some hi-tech thing which must of course be better.