Anchor Balls

skipnice

Recruit
Not sure exactly what they do. What are some pro's and con's? Is an anchor ball appropriate to use on a 22' boat anchoring in 70- 100 ft of water? Helpful advice will be appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Anchor Balls

Anchor balls? That's new to me. Sure they aren't downrigger balls?<br /><br />The best anchor to use depends on the nature of the bottom. Most of them dig in to the bottom and hold that way.<br /><br />Never anchored in water that deep. You would need a LOT of line to do that.

studlymandingo

Commander

The only anchor ball I have ever heard of is the black ball that is hoisted over the bow of a ship to indicate it is at anchor.

Bondo

Staff member

I've got an Anchor Ball used for retrieving the anchor,...... Never used it......Well, Maybe once to try it.....<br /><br />'Course,... I don't Anchor very often,+ Never that Deep...............

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's a Gloucester ball (up here anyways) with a ring through the eye on it. You clip it around the anchor line, toss it over, and throttle up in the direction opposite the anchor's set position (or break it free by hand). The ball lifts the anchor off the bottom as the line feeds through it and you'll see the anchor come through the ring eventually. Stop and retrieve anchor without having the weight of it working against you. There's a link out there describing this as well.