Amsoil Oil Question

Even Flow2

Cadet
Not trying to spark a synthetic vs. non-synthetic debate, just making sure I am ok with my engine oil weight and curious if anyone else uses it.

Boat has a 2002 Volvo Penta 3.0 GS which I bought this year. The boat has Amsoil Series 2000 SAE 0W-30 Severe Service engine oil in it with a NAPA oil filter.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

First, anyone else run this and is it ok for this motor? Second, since it had this in it, should I be using it going forward?

It is very expensive, but at once a year I am not concerned. Oil still looks good and the level has not changed since I dropped it in the water in April

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Amsoil Oil Question

Sounds ok to me. The only problem I see, is unlike cars, you are doing lots of full load use, have a higher probability of fuel dillution, less if you have an EFI engine, so therefore you need MORE frequent oil changes. For some people and their fuel dillution issues, 3 times a season may be required.

To know for sure, nobody here can answer your question. You need to suck some out into a sample container and send it to a lab for analysis. I like blackstone labs.

45Auto

Commander

0W-30 is too thin for a boat, unless you're somewhere way above the Arctic Circle maybe .....

Volvo oil recommendations below:

VolvoOil.jpg

Even Flow2

Cadet

what are the repercussions of running to light of an oil? Should I be concerned about using the boat and change immediately?

I know it is Amsoil marketing, but reading the Amsoil info it sounds like the 0W can replace heavier weights.

I probably wont DIY on the oil change my first time, especially since it is moored at a dock at the marina, so trying to determine how critical it is to change to a different weight oil. Hoping not to drop the money on a change unless it is deemed critical by the iboats community!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I normally stay away from oil threads (my very first iBoats post was an oil "question") :rolleyes:

But I think it's instructive to mention that if straight 30wt oil is "ok" for a Volvo (GM powertrain) engine, then 0W-30 is too.

If you look at the specifications for AMSOIL 0W-30 and just about ANY SAE 30W oil, the 100*C (212F for those of you in Rio Linda;)) Kinematic viscosity is THE SAME.

There is a misconception about "multigrade" synthetics.

The first numbers "XXw-YY" refer to how the oil operates at VERY LOW temps where "regular " oil would pour like molasses!!! The second set of numbers "-40", "-30" refers to to the "weight" at 100*C

For our marine engines, most of us don't run them at -30C!! or freezing temps etc.....

......... So while 0W-30 might be ok, and it's certainly not needed, the viscosity at normal operating temps will be THE SAME as straight SAE30.

If you are hot about running SAE 40 in your marine engine you're also "ok" to run AMSOIL or any other synthetic 0W-40 too.

(the Kinematic viscosity at 100*C is essentially the same for 0W-40 and SAE 40)

[btw, I am not a dealer or a cheer leader for AMSOIL!!! I don't use it either!!.........I use them for an example because they publish really good (ASTM) data on their oils]

If you want to know more about Kinematic viscosity, read the following. http://www.ideas4ag-ed.com/uploads/...toepfer_understanding_motor_oil_viscosity.pdf

Here's what oil producers use to determine (Kinematic) Viscosity. http://www.astm.org/Standards/D445.htm

This link describes several oil tests. http://www.tpub.com/content/armyquartermaster/QM5184/QM51840028.htm

Oil threads here usually "degrade" into "here's what I use and I've never had a problem"--- posts.

This is testamonial "evidence" ......(which is NOT evidence)

Every oil has been tried in a marine engine successfully.

Marine engines usually fail for reasons OTHER than oil type.

Use whatever you want.

SOMEONE PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Rick

45Auto

Commander

From what I understand, the problem with the lower weight multi-viscosity oils is that the base stock is the lower number. Long chain molecules called "viscosity index improvers" (VII) are added to the base stock to enable it to achieve the higher number at elevated temperatures.

Under load, these VII's are gradually sheared into smaller and smaller molecules, lowering the maximum viscosity the oil can achieve at temperature.

When new, I have no doubt that a 0W-30 oil would be 30 wt at operating temps. However, there will be some degradation under load and over time (above paragraph). Is the degradation significant? What is that load and time? Who knows, I sure don't.

No big deal, it's a typical oil thread. If you don't like the manufacturer's recommendations, run what you want. Someone on the internet is using it and will gladly post how great it is for you!

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

my boat engine oil calls for 10-30. i used to run amsoil 5-30 until just this year, i switched to mobil 1 10-30 because its cheaper. thats it, but the mobil 1 is still full synthetic. amsoil makes a great outdrive gear lube that protects up to 10% invasion of water also.

Even Flow2

Cadet

thank you for all the informative information! I do feel better understanding the science behind it. I am not locked into any brand or type, I just simply want to make sure I am not running something that is blatently bad for the engine for the season. I know it is expensive oil, but buying it used you never know what the previous owner was thinking (or not thinking)

I think my next oil change, after 100 hours, will be the OEM volvo oil then I will not have any concerns at all as it is by the book

Thank you guys for all the informative material!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

However, there will be some degradation under load and over time (above paragraph).
You're right.... It's the VI improvers in non-synthetic oils that break down under load and cause the oil to "drop out of grade"

Consumer Reports did a study on oils in the 90's that determined just that......In fact, they recommended NOT using 10w-40 (or any non-synthetic "wide-spread" XXw-yy" (non-syn) in ANYTHING!!

I'm not so sure I would agree with that where synthetics are concerned though........

Not to name any particular brand.....The synthetics specifically make the claim that they are able to stay in grade far longer than any Non-synthetic.

I haven't looked the actual stats, but every synthetic manufacturer cites data that indicates the longevity of their oils. (their main selling point:rolleyes:)

No one seems to dispute this. Even OEMs (GM, BMW, Volks, Mercedes, etc) use synthetics as "factory fill". I am surprised that Mercury and Volvo Penta haven't come up with a 0w-30/40 for all their engines........(even Volvo suggests syn 30w as a choice)

John Deere has a 0w40 synthetic oil now too.... I would say that a John Deere tractor running at working RPM pulling a big plow etc in an Oklahoma field in august is working AT LEAST as hard as any marine engine!

I think my next oil change, after 100 hours, will be the OEM volvo oil then I will not have any concerns at all as it is by the book

Do what Volvo Suggests and you'll NEVER go wrong.....just do it at the end of the season before winter!!

Cheers,

Rick