Amp. box conversion help

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have heard that you can convert the amplifier box to a less expensive system that is easier to replace and repair the the one on my 71 evinrude 60 hp. If anyone has info on this I would like the help. My motor is a 3 cyl with one coil and the amplifier box. It is also equiped with 2 sets of points. :confused:

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Amp. box conversion help

That engine is capable of the "car coil conversion" pretty simple to do too...<br /><br />throw the amp, hook the points up so that its feeding a negative (at the appropraite times) to the coil, hook the other side of the coil to a positive (when the ignition is on) feed..<br /><br />the main problem with this system is that the standard points are not designed for this level of current and my wear out pretty quick, maybe you can adapt a set of auto points to fit.. (some people swear to me that its not necessary, others say it is.)<br /><br />the other problem with this method is that series of OMC has only a 9 amp charging system, so it may not be able to cope with the added drain.<br /><br />still, its been done alot and not many people complain about it.<br /><br />There are other posts in this forum about fitting car iginition systems as well, use the search facility.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Amp. box conversion help

What about a condensor as with cars they use a condensor with the coil. Also should I get a coil that is made for systems with daul point like the older ford mustangs were or just a single point coil.