American Red Cross Donations

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I prefer to donate physical goods (canned food, drygoods, etc) rather than cash to causes because I am leery that the money will get "skimmed" into someone's account or used for other purposes. That is why I stopped contributing to the United Way (U.W. Directors got millions in pensions a few years ago!!!) <br /><br />My employer sent out a memo indicating that they will match 150% any donations by employees to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief. <br /><br />Do you think I have to worry about the ARC mishandling my donation?

Ron G

Commander
Re: American Red Cross Donations

NO theey got busted a few years ago for speanding the money on computers but they have straighted there act up,they can probably do more good right now then other organazations,

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I used to volunteer for the ARC as a CPR instructor. Other than that, I haven't seen the inner workings. <br />Judging by the equipment in the office though, you have NO worries. They were running on really old computers, dial up modems, dot matrix printers. I don't think they were spending money on that stuff :) <br />ARC is IMHO one of the absolute best places to donate. Again, just my personal opinion.<br /><br />AK Chappy

LadyFish

Admiral

Your donation to the American Red Cross or Salvation Army is going to a good cause, you can be rest assured.<br /><br />If you do make a donation and want the money to go specifically to Katrina Disaster Victims mark your donation "Restricted for Victims of Hurricane Katrina".<br /><br />Restricted funds are just that, restricted. Open donations usually go into a reserve used for other disasters or operating costs and are considered non-restricted.<br /><br />Both are well respected non-profits and have over 100 years of proven dedication to disaster victims.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The last thing they need right now is a bunch of material goods. They need the cash.<br /><br />We're contributing, and everybody should put a bit in too, just in recognition of how lucky they are.<br /><br />Jinx

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Your donation to the American Red Cross or Salvation Army is going to a good cause, you can be rest assured.<br /><br />If you do make a donation and want the money to go specifically to Katrina Disaster Victims mark your donation "Restricted for Victims of Hurricane Katrina".<br /><br />Restricted funds are just that, restricted. Open donations usually go into a reserve used for other disasters or operating costs and are considered non-restricted.<br /><br />Both are well respected non-profits and have over 100 years of proven dedication to disaster victims.
Absolutely true, the big ruckus during the aftermath of 9/11 was because people did not state that their donations go specifically to the 9/11 fund.