American Culture and tradition

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After reading the post about the tumb of the unknown soldier it got me to thinking. As a Canadian I know some of the traditions that Americans hold dear but could you all explain to me some more of these American traditions which honour trust loyalty bravery and family value I would be very interested to hear them thanks

bubbakat

Captain
Re: American Culture and tradition

well Mothers day<br /> Fathers day<br /> veterans day<br />4th of july Independence day

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bubba kat what I wanted to know was traditions similiar to the unknown soldier's

bubbakat

Captain

oh okay I will give that some thought

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget Apple Pie, BubbaKat. :D

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey! is that some kind of a disssss on me in your Sig??? :p

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you know i was quite serious about this topic I am very interested to hear

bubbakat

Captain

miloman I have racked my little pea brain :D trying to think of some ceremony we do like the tomb, but for the life of me I can't think of any.<br /><br /> Yet anyways!!! :rolleyes:

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

miloman,<br /><br />One of our traditions is the folding of the flag. I have seen many ceremonies during my 30 years in the U.S. Air Force and one of the most moving is the folding of the flag... no matter if it was folded at the end of the duty day or if it was removed from a casket and folded by the honor guard to be presented to a widow or a mother. In the Armed Forces of the United States, at the Ceremony of Retreat, the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold, and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead. The next morning it is brought out, and at the Ceremony of Reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in new life.<br /><br />The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton field of blue containing the stars, <br />representing the states who have provided the men and women who have served in uniform. <br />The canton field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted only when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has served our country honorably in uniform.<br /><br />The thirteen folds of the flag are each symbolic.<br /><br />1. The first fold of our flag is a symbol of our belief in God.<br /><br />2. The second fold is a symbol of our devotion to the United States of America.<br /><br />3. The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the Veterans who <br />have departed our ranks.<br /><br />4. The fourth fold represents our reliance on God for guidance and strength.<br /><br />5. The fifth fold is a tribute to freedom and all that it means to us.<br /><br />6. The sixth fold represents our heart. For it is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.<br /><br />7. The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is the Armed Forces who protect our country and our flag against all her enemies.<br /><br />8. The eighth fold is a tribute to honor our Mother's faith, love, loyalty, and devotion that have shaped the character of the men and women who have made this country great.<br /><br />9. The ninth fold is a tribute to Father's, who give their sons and daughters for the defense of our country.<br /><br />10. The tenth fold is a tribute to American families everywhere. Our strength is built upon their strength.<br /><br />11. The eleventh fold is a symbol of our belief in justice and equality for all.<br /><br />12. The twelfth fold represents an emblem of eternity, and glorifies our faith in God.<br /><br />13. The thirteenth fold is a symbol of our thirteen original colonies.<br /><br />When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God We Trust." After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the American Soldiers who first served under General George Washington to establish and preserve the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.<br /><br />I hope this is what you had in mind when you asked about some of our traditions.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'll add to it with the "21 Gun Salute"<br /><br />The gun salute system of the United States has changed considerably over the years. In 1810, the "national salute" was defined by the War Department as equal to the number of states in the Union--at that time 17. This salute was fired by all U.S. military installations at 1:00 p.m. (later at noon) on Independence Day. The President also received a salute equal to the number of states whenever he visited a military installation.<br /><br />In 1842, the Presidential salute was formally established at 21 guns. In 1890, regulations designated the "national salute" as 21 guns and redesignated the traditional Independence Day salute, the "Salute to the Union," equal to the number of states. Fifty guns are also fired on all military installations equipped to do so at the close of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect.<br /><br />Today the national salute of 21 guns is fired in honor of a national flag, the sovereign or chief of state of a foreign nation, a member of a reigning royal family, and the President, ex-President and President-elect of the United States. It is also fired at noon of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect.<br /><br />Gun salutes are also rendered to other military and civilian leaders of this and other nations. The number of guns is based on their protocol rank. These salutes are always in odd numbers.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SBN warhorse these are exactly the type of traditions I am interested in keep posting

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by miloman:<br /> SBN warhorse these are exactly the type of traditions I am interested in keep posting
Hey milo, how about the "Tie a yellow ribbon around the ol oak tree"?<br />Here ya go.<br /><br />Tie a Yellow Ribbon<br /><br />Family Tradition<br /><br />Display of a Yellow Ribbon is a sign of loyalty to family, friends or loved ones who are welcome home. Customarily it is used to welcome home men and women who have been away for a long time under adverse or particularly difficult circumstances such as war or prison. <br />Background<br /><br />Did you ever wonder where the Yellow Ribbon Tradition came from? Most Music Historians trace the Custom to a 19th Century Civil War Song. Reportedly the Custom comes from a Civil War story about a prisoner's homecoming returning from Andersonville Prison. In 1973 Tony Orlando and Dawn cut their number one song of that year and their all-time classic: “Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree.”<br /><br />Folklore has it that the inspiration for the 1973 song came from a true incident that occurred on a bus bound for Miami, Florida. It seems that one of the passengers had just been released from prison and he was bound for home. He had written his wife and let her know he still loved her and wanted to be with her. He asked her to tie a yellow ribbon around the lone oak tree in the Town Square of White Oak, Georgia, if she still had feelings for him and wanted him to be with her. Everyone in the bus asked the Driver to slow down as they approached, there it was!<br /><br />The Driver pulled over and phoned the wire services to share the story. It quickly spread throughout the country. Songwriters Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown wrote the ballad from the news story.<br /><br />And now, "the rest of the story"! L. Russell Brown had the inspiration for writing the song. One late Spring morning he drove 33 miles to Irwin Levine's house and told him the story of the oak tree. It had nothing to do with any convict or news story. It was about a civil war soldier, a stagecoach and yellow (as Mr. Levine would say: "Use your imagination!") handkerchiefs. Irwin changed the yellow handkerchiefs to ribbons so as not to offend anyone with the reality of what makes handkerchiefs yellow! L. Russell Brown and and Irwin Levine updated the story by changing the stagecoach to a bus. L. Russell Brown picked up a guitar and wrote the first eight or so lines of music and lyrics himself. Irwin picked up the ball and wrote the ending: "100 ribbons round the ole oak tree". There was discussion about use of the word damn and then the ole song was written. According to L. Russell Brown: "Sorry Paul Harvey, but now you know the rest of the story"1.<br /><br />“Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree” was released in February 1973. It was the number one hit by April 1973.<br /><br />The song became a hit again in 1981 when the 52 Iran Hostages were returned after 444 days of captivity. The song was played throughout the United States because by then the Yellow Ribbon had become a symbol of loyalty.

tylerin

Commander

I was once told by a few Military Officers (one being my father) that 21 guns also symbolized the sum of the numbers of 1776

SpinnerBait_Nut

Straight from the US Navy.<br /><br />Origins of the Twenty-One Gun Salute<br /><br />The practice of firing gun salutes has existed for centuries. Early warriors demonstrated their peaceful intentions by placing their weapons in a position that rendered them ineffective. In early times, it was customary for a ship entering a friendly port to discharge its cannon to demonstrate that they were unloaded.<br /><br /><br />The rendering of gun salutes in odd numbers may be traced to the superstition that odd numbers were considered lucky. Seven, for example, was held by the earliest civilizations to have mystical powers. Seven gun salutes were widely used. Forts ashore, which could store gunpowder more readily and in greater quantity than on board ship, would sometimes fire three shots for each shot fired afloat. Salutes with an even number of guns came to signify that the captain or ship master had died on the voyage.<br /><br /><br />For many years, the number of guns fired for various purposes differed from country to country. By 1730, the Royal Navy was prescribing 21 guns for certain anniversary dates, although this was not mandatory as a salute to the Royal family until later in the eighteenth century.<br /><br /><br />Several famous incidents involving gun salutes took place during the American Revolution. On 16 November 1776, the Continental Navy brigantine Andrew Doria, Captain Isaiah Robinson, fired a salute of 13 guns on entering the harbor of St. Eustatius in the West Indies (some accounts give 11 as the number). A few minutes later, the salute was returned by 9 (or 11) guns by order of the Dutch governor of the island. At the time, a 13 gun salute would have represented the 13 newly-formed United States; the customary salute rendered to a republic at that time was 9 guns. This has been called the "first salute" to the American flag. About three weeks before, however, an American schooner had had her colors saluted at the Danish island of St. Croix. The flag flown by the Andrew Doria and the unnamed American schooner in 1776 was not the Stars and Stripes, which had not yet been adopted. Rather, it was the Grand Union flag, consisting of thirteen alternating red and white stripes with the British Jack in the union.<br /><br /><br />The first official salute by a foreign nation to the Stars and Stripes took place on 14 February 1778, when the Continental Navy ship Ranger, Captain John Paul Jones, fired 13 guns and received 9 in return from the French fleet anchored in Quiberon Bay, France.<br /><br /><br />The U.S. Navy regulations for 1818 were the first to prescribe a specific manner for rendering gun salutes (although gun salutes were in use before the regulations were written down). Those regulations required that "When the President shall visit a ship of the United States' Navy, he is to be saluted with 21 guns." It may be noted that 21 was the number of states in the Union at that time. For a time thereafter, it became customary to offer a salute of one gun for each state in the Union, although in practice there was a great deal of variation in the number of guns actually used in a salute.<br /><br /><br />In addition to salutes offered to the President and heads of state, it was also a tradition in the U.S. Navy to render a "national salute" on 22 February (Washington's Birthday) and 4 July (the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence).<br /><br />A twenty-one gun salute for the President and heads of state, Washington's Birthday, and the Fourth of July became the standard in the United States Navy with the issuance of new regulations on 24 May 1842. Those regulations laid out the specifics:<br /><br />"When the President of the United States shall visit a vessel of the navy, he shall be received with the following honors: The yards shall be manned, all the officers shall be on deck in full uniform, the full guard shall be paraded and present arms, the music shall play a march, and a salute of twenty-one guns shall be fired. He shall receive the same honors when he leaves the ship."<br />"Upon the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence of the United States, the colors shall be hoisted at sunrise, and all the vessels of the navy shall, when in port, be dressed, and so continue until the colors are hauled down at sunset, if the state of the weather and other circumstances will allow it. At sunrise, at meridian, and at sunset, a salute of twenty-one guns shall be fired from every vessel in commission mounting six guns and upwards."<br />"On the twenty-second day of February, the anniversary of the birth of Washington, a salute of twenty-one guns shall be fired at meridian from every vessel of the navy in commission mounting six guns and upwards."<br /><br /><br />Today, the national salute of 21 guns is fired in honor of a national flag, the soverign or chief of state of a foreign nation, a member of a reigning royal family, and the President, ex-President, and President-elect of the United States. It is also fired at noon of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect, on Washington's Birthday, Presidents Day, and the Fourth of July. On Memorial Day, a salute of 21 minute guns is fired at noon while the flag is flown at half mast.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

all really good information. Its these traditions that make AMerica what it is

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Although Canada is my country of birth and I love Canada, I have always had a true respect of American's love for their country. <br /><br />At ball games/hockey games in Canada, everyone stands for the national anthem but speak through it, eat through it etc. <br /><br />I was at a baseball game in St. Louis a few years ago and was startled by the fact that everyone stood and was quiet or better yet sang your national anthem.<br /><br />I wish Canadians would show more patriotism as our American cousins do.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

steam that was kinda the jist of this thread. It was the reason I started it, I wanted to know what all of these traditions are. I guess where our 2 countries differ is that in America you are american first then your nation of birth second. Here you are canadian second

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

As an FYI, my parents were not born in Canada but I was. My Dad always taught me about my heritage and to this day I am completely fluent in my families mother tongue.<br /><br />But he did teach me something else. That was that Canada was now our country and always reminded me that this was my country.<br /><br />He taught me things like when you fly a flag, regardless of your heritage, it is respect to fly the flag of the country you are in higher than any other flag.<br /><br />Up at my cottage, you would be surprised by how many flags fly higher than the Canadian flag. And yes many of the offenders are American! Sorry guys.<br /><br />When I look outside and see loons nesting, or Stompin' Tom comes on the radio to sing about Tilsonburgh (sp?) or when I went to go see elephant rock and it had fallen into the ocean this is what makes me a Canadian. We should be proud.<br /><br />How about a thread on Canadian traditions...<br /><br />Monarchy....<br />Unlike American politics we are based on a non partisan electorate.....<br />Peacekeepers....<br /><br />etc.<br />etc.<br />etc.