American Cricket Team

Kiwi Phil

Commander
I try hard not to watch the sports summary on TV when it goes to the game of cricket: the Aussie team V the American team.<br />A complete mismatch.<br />The Aussie Team is probably the best in the World.<br />I doubt the American team would be in position 20 in the top 20.<br />I can't speak for the other Aussies on this net, but I am embarrased, to see the Aussies clobbering the Americans, and then jumping for joy, hugging each other or patting each other on the tail. <br />We are not all like that.<br />I am also a little annoyed. I believe the game of cricket would benefit by more countries competing, but mismatches like this one , in my opinion, do litlte to expand the publics interest in the sport. <br />Probably the exactly opposite.<br />I also believe cricket is probably the ultimate sport/game.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: American Cricket Team

It's the thrill of victory Phil, I'm sure the American team took no offense because of it. I remember watching a Ryder Cup match a few years ago where Justin Leonard sunk a 30' putt to seal a victory for the Americans, and the American team just exploded cheering and hi-fiving each other. I guess it was the un-gentlemanly thing to do, but I was doing the same thing in my living room. I don't know much about cricket etiquette, but winning should be celebrated.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I see your point Kiwi. I don't know too much about the sport but, the match-up situation seems it would be similar to say a rowing race against a one-armed man.<br /><br />...now what would have happened if by some miraculous fluke the US team had won ...? :eek: probably pandamonium!<br /><br />Like gaugeguy said, "It's the thrill of victory." - it's the competative nature in most of us. <br /><br />"You're only as good as the teams you play" .. ( and beat to a pulp :D )

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

That celebration is a patened American celebration. We may have lost that crickett battle, but our customs have infiltrated your world, and therefore we have won the war!<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

If you really want to get upset Phil, watch an American football game and watch the "celebrations" after an average defensive play...even when the guy who made the plays team is losing by 21 points...makes me sick.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br />[QB] <br />The Aussie Team is probably the best in the World.<br />QB]
Whadya mean 'probably' :D <br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

It is the mis-match that annoyed me.<br />I go along with celebrating etc - no worries.<br />Cricket is probably the ultimate sport, and to have the Americans putting forward competitive teams would be great. I just question if a mis-match does a lot for the growth of any sport.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip<br />And yes Aldo, probably was not the correct word to use.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I haven't been following the game but its good to hear another country entering the comp. How long have the U.S. had a team? <br /><br />Cricket is supposed to be a 'gentlemens' sport, post game should be handshakes and beers, not gloating. <br /><br />Aldo

tylerin

Commander

KIWI. Good for you guys. No hard feelings here. I've been to every sporting good store I've ever passed, and I don't recall ever seeing the tools to play this game of Cricket. They don't exist over here. The game of baseball I think evolved from cricket but I'm not sure. Americans to start playing Cricket would be the equivalent of us going back to swinging from trees and eating bananas. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

And as much as I watch ESPN Sportcenter, the only cricket coverage I have ever seen was when India and Pakistan played a match recently. I didn't even know the USA had a cricket team.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Cricket.... what the heck is Cricket.<br />Is that like Polyo.?<br /><br />Team Canada Rules The World. :D