Amber alert, child with father...

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Listening to radio on the way home, Amber alert issued. Took notice and then heard, "child was last seen with father". I understand this is serious if it's a custody issue, but after hearing the child was at least with a parent I took it less seriously. If the child had been kidnapped at a rest stop as an example, I would have been more worried.<br /><br />Also, those missing children on milk boxes seem to be with one of the parents half the time. Shouldn't kids kidnapped by strangers be more of a priority instead of getting involved with a custody battle? If my ex had taken our child I would assume the kid was ok. <br /><br />This has just bugged me for awhile, and respect all opinions here.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Amber alert, child with father...

My guess is, kidnapped by strangers are given top priority, solved quicker, & that's why there are fewer of 'em on milk bottles. <br />That's just a WAG.<br /><br />Some of those been missing for years and years...even if the kid was ok, and with your ex, that's gotta be tough not knowing & not seeing your child all that time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Some of these "Exes" are not American citizens too. There was one case recently where a guy kidnapped his daughter and brought her up in Lebanon. She was there for something like 7 years. She got re-kidnapped by mom and is now home. Yes, still less traumatic and risky than a stranger abduction, but it can be pretty important to find them fast even if it is the other parent. My .02

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard amber alert(s) like that too. In my opinion, not all of those situations are the same. If a child is abducted by her father, that doesn't necessarily mean the child is any safer than he or she would be with a complete stranger. Worst case scenario, the father could still be a suicidal pedafile with murderous intentions. Every case is different. If it is known that it is only a custody situation and the child is not believed to be in danger, then certainly more priority is given to case where a child is abducted by a stranger.