Am I risking my life??

rickl

Cadet
Hi Guys,<br />I recently bought a 1969 16ft aluminum boat, it resembles a speedboat it has a decked bow and a windshield, it’s a V bottom that flatten out at the stern (the stern is 30” high) and it’s running a 45hp outboard. The main use for this boat is local lakes but I do travel to Maine a few times a year and would like to use it in the bays around Friendship and Camden (in nice weather of course). Has anyone had experience with this type of boat?? Am I risking my life?? :confused: :eek: <br />This is my first aluminum boat. I’m a wooden boat sailor and if it was a wooden boat I would not be concerned. :cool: <br /><br />Thanks for your input.<br /><br />Rickl

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Am I risking my life??

You're probably fine. Just start out in calm sheltered waters near the shore until you know it works properly, and take a coast guard course if you aren't an experienced boater.<br /><br />The basic questions to ask are:<br /><br />does it leak?<br />does the boat appear structurally sound<br />does the HP rating on the boat allow for a 45hp outboard?<br />are the engine & steering in good working order.<br />do you have the required coast guard safety gear on board

starcraft guy

Seaman

I have used a 16 foot starcraft on the bay of fundy was fine, watch the weather out there it can change fast.<br /> river run

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Rick,<br /><br />Let me know next time you're up. I know alot of good places in MidCoast Maine to explore by boat.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

get a vhf & make sure u let someone know where your headed. 3 men headed out on a 25 ft. wellcraft this weekend for a fishing tournament off the coast of n.j. & are missing. it don't look good. i hope u know what your doing, as your boat is only a 16ftr. if u hear a small craft warning, don't even think about it.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about lakes up there but in the reservoirs of Alabama I cut my teeth water skiing behind 14-16 ft Aluminum boats back in the 60's. I happen to own a couple myself and enjoy their light weight when pullling them with a worn out Mazda pick up.

rickl

Cadet

Hi Guys,<br />Thank you for your comments and info I feel better now. I'm not new to boating just aluminum boats. Outonbizniz thanks for your response I'll give you a holler next time I'm up probably in August or September.<br />Thanks again guys.<br /><br />Rickl<br /> :cool: