Am I missing something?

kinsy2323

Cadet
Hi. I have a 1981 35 hp Johnson. Model # J35ELCIG
I just got my boat and am learning. The trim rocker switch is on the throttle. The choice is UP or ON. Will it lock if I put it up too far? The motor didn't seem to go as fast after I raised it, kind of like it was getting too much air. How do I get it back down if there isn't the DOWN option on the switch?
Also, my friend was helping me get it on the trailer and she put it in reverse really fast and the motor went wild and jumped up twice.
please advise.
Kinsy

Last edited:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Am I missing something?

That model didn't come with factory power trim or remote steering, your boat must have been fitted with aftermarket accessories.

Ordinarily the motor wouldn't be locked down unless you engaged the manual tilt lock (to avoid damage from hitting underwater obstruction at hi speed), so it would jump if you rev it in reverse, no real problem there.

I bet "ON" is actually "DN". If you tried and it had no effect, you might have a burned out relay or faulty switch.

Most power tilt and trim units have a "tilt" piston separate from the "trim" pistons. The trim is to adjust the angle of the motor while running at speed, and tilt is to tilt it up out the way. Typically, the "tilt" piston will bleed down when you apply too much throttle, and motor tilts back down until it contacts the trim pistons.

The same switch controls both tilt and trim -- it just trims out until it reaches the limit of trim piston travel at which point tilt takes over.

Start off with the motor trimmed fully down. After the boat is on plane start trimming out in small increments, until any further adjustment results in a speed decrease instead of increase.

Never but never start your motor without supplying water to the lower unit, a couple minutes dry running is all it takes to damage the water pump impeller.

Change the water pump impeller every two years (more in salt water), and the gear oil annually.

Use only fresh 87-octane gasoline mixed with TCW3 certified oil in a 50:1 ratio, and champion l77jc4 plugs at .030 (QL77JC4 are ok too).