Am I killing my batterys?

Muppet

Cadet
I have a new battery, still fixing things on the boat, it is hooked up but keeps going dead. When I put a charger on it now it pulls 0 amps, had the charger on it for a hour, 20 amp charger. Took it off, went to lift the motor with power trim and nothing. It did work when I had the charger hooked up. Am I some how killing my batterys?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Am I killing my batterys?

Is there a draw on the electrical system while the boat is not running?

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by muppet:<br />it is hooked up but keeps going dead.
If this is a starting battery and not a deep cycle then you have already ruined it. Whatever is causing the battery to drain in the first place will be a seperate problem. Once you find a battery that works use an amp meter to see if there is any drain while the boat is sitting.

Muppet

Cadet

This is a deep cycle, I will try a bigger charger and keep chargeing it for longer. I am pretty sure there is some draw on the battery, unsure what because I have no tester =/

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hang on, it may be salvaged yet.<br /><br />A battery that is DEAD flat will not excite a dumb charger.<br /><br />Disconnect the dead batt from the boat. Get a second battery (from your car?), connect jumper leads, connect the charger to the dead battery. Let it charge for an hour or so and then disconnect the jumper leads - it should continue to charge the dead batt.<br /><br />If you are using a smart charger, let it charge for a week or so. If it's a dumb charger, let it go for a couple of days and check it regularly - you don't want it boiling but you need to 'top it of'.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

walmart has multi meters for about $11.00, to help find you short.