Am/fm Stereo problem

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1997 bayliner Capri 1750 (second owner). When I bought it the radio didn't work. I looked under the dash and the fuse attached to the radio (glass 10amp) was blown. I changed it and still nothing. Is there another fuse panel or place I should look before I just invest in a new radio. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

roffey

Commander
voltmeter, check for power or lack there of. Check at the radio, then the fuse panel then work back from there, divide and conquer.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's the thing, I can't find a fuse panel in the boat. It's got to be there somewhere right?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There should be some kind of power distribution panel in the boat. They are usually under the dashboard near the driver's station. They are usually powered via a dedicated wire on the battery, and not powered via the motor harness. If that power cable or the ground is not connected to the battery, the radio will not work.

Trace the radio power and ground wires to their source.

roffey

Commander
There "should" be an inline fuse, red wire that connects the radio to a power source. The wire I think will be connected to the fuse panel. If its after market and the PO installed it could be connected directly to the ignition (not good). If you want to test the radio you can run a wire directly from the battery to the radio. Looking back at the original post you would have a fuse box for sure. The boat is not that old, a 1997 almost brand new in this forum, LOL.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the help. I will get on it today and post my results. Thanks again.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If all else fails, either in the meantime or an alternative to dash mounted stereos, you can get bluetooth speakers and stream your playlist right from your smartphone. Easy way to get tunes in your boat.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If your 12v constant (usually a yellow lead) isn't connected along with the 12v ignition power, you radio likely won't work.