always in forward

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
motor: 40hp mercury 1997

recent work: a bent prop shaft strightened at local machine shop.

now it stays in gear even tho the shift shaft appears to have its normal movement.

the shop manual didnt mention any special alignment when reinserting the shaft.

is the problem linked to this recent repair or is there a second issue?

Bear 45/70

Seaman
Re: always in forward

Shift shaft in wrong position when gearcase reinstalled on the engine.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

can this happen by removing / replacing the propshaft?

the lower end hasnt come off, that i know of.

Bear 45/70

Seaman

I know of no way to properly check clearances (gear backlash and bearing clearances) after a propshaft change without removeing the Gearcase. If he didn't remove it then he did it wrong. FYI I have never seen a propshaft straightened and not destroy bearings and gears soon afterwards.

Laddies

Banned

You lost the shift pin out of the prop shaft when you removed the shaft and did not reinstall it before installing the shaft.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

the shift pin meaning the pointy-ended pin that fits in the end of the propshaft, and is spring loaded? it is there.

if its something on the lower tip of the shift rod, then maybe something needs aligning.

the manual shows nothing about this in the re-installing the prop shaft section

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am thinking the shift cam may be misaligned.

instead of taking prop shaft off (big castle nut), should i just drop the foot, snug the cam up find neutral, and re-align to the shifter's neutral position?

i do not believe the cam fell off, or it would most likely have been very noticable to have loose parts down there (grinding noise etc) but theres no noise, it just doesnt shift, so i guess its the cam that doesnt make contact with the cam follower.

am i on the right track?

Laddies

Banned

If you did not remove the unit while working in it, just removed the carrier and shaft there is no way that the shift cam is not aligned properly. If you had the unit off then yes you did not get the shift in the unit aligned properly with the engine and the unit will have to come down be shifted into rev the engine put into rev and reinstalled.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

then somethings obviously wrong the cam & follower dept.

i personally assembled the prop shaft and am confident the follower pin is in place.

im just wondering if i should go pull the foot off and bring back to my shop, or realign onsite.

Laddies

Banned

If you drain the unit and pull the carrier you should be able to look in the unit and have some one shift it and see the cam move if it turns the it has to be either the pin is not right or the carrier was not seated properly.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think someone had decided to tinker with the foot. as soon as i took it apart i was able to snug the shift cam up to the tip of the cam follower.

it works now.