Always have to start in choked position?

orbitz

Cadet
Hi guys, for some reason, even after running for a while, my boat won't start unless I have it in 'choked' position. (Meaning i push in the button on the bottom of the throttle, then push the throttle down). If I try and start it without going into choke position, it just turns and turns and turns, but nothing... any ideas? I was thinking maybe I have to bring up my idle?

orbitz

Cadet
Re: Always have to start in choked position?

btw -- 1994 Bayliner Capri 1950 with Mercruiser 3.0 LX Alpha One II

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That isn't the choked position because it has nothing to do with the choke on the carb. That is actually pretty normal what you have to do. If your idle is correct with the throttle in the released position, you don't need to touch it.

orbitz

Cadet

Really? So what does it do when I put the throttle in that position? I thought it might have been the idle because sometimes when switching from reverse to forward or vice versa, the engine hits 450-500 RPM and sometimes stalls out as well. As long as it's normal to have to do that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The purpose of pushing in the button and moving the throttle forward just adds some throttle at starting...just like pressing on the gas pedal a little while you start a carburated auto back when they had those.

As far as idle of 450 rpm, that is too low. You should set it up so that it is around 700 while in gear. It is normal for the RPM to drop during the shift. There is a shift interrupter that drops the RPM during the shift to make it easier to get out of gear. As long as the idle is 700 while in gear, you are ok.