Aluminum Pulleys for a 302

93seaswirl

Cadet
Im trying to find a set of aluminum pulleys for my 302, or if I can be pointed in the right direction to find some, any suggestions ?

93seaswirl

Cadet
I've talked to summit and they told me to get in touch with ASP out in Texas and they would custom make them for me but they quoted me between 150-275 a piece for each pulley lol so I'm hoping to find a set online for like 200 bucks

93seaswirl

Cadet
The belt keeps fraying and small pieces are coming off of it and it squeals when you initially turn it on and when you are changing from forward to reverse, I can either take the olds ones off and get them sand blasted and powder coated or get aluminum ones that will pretty much last forever, I haven't decided what I want to do.

alldodge

Staff member
The belt keeps fraying

With the belt fraying this would not be the pulley unless the pulley is really messed up, probably have something else going on. Aluminum or steel, they will last longer then the motor 3 times over.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the belt is fraying, its either an alignment or corrosion issue.

however for most 302's, hit the salvage yard. I guarantee you will find a 5.0 mustang that someone bolted go-fast parts on , then wrecked.

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also have a 93 seaswirl. My pulleys eat belts. the rust and corrosion just eat them up.
I go though 2 alternator belts a season. Quick and easy to change, and for $15 each, I will just change them. The best price I can find for a complete pulley set is $600

That is alot of belts.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SBFE2KIT from CVFRacing.com $152
Power steering pulley from Ebay $115
Assorted thickness washers and different legth bolts $10
Machining done locally to modify alternator pulley $30
New Belts (different sizes than stock) $30

It's not a complete bolt on kit. I had to shave .1 inches off the back of the alternator pulley, add washers in key places and change the power steering pulley depth on it's shaft. I also had to ADD a custom thickness circular shim to the shaft of the STOCK Prestolite alternator. It's not hard to do these things, it's was just time consuming. The end result was totally worth it. No more shredded belts and it looks 100% better.

If I can get some more time, I want to make a video that will explain all the details of how I did it. Time is not something I have a lot of these days.

Another note: I contacted CVF before I even started this project to see if they would machine a custom set of pulleys for me and the answer I got, at that time, was that demand drives supply, or in other words, if they don't have enough interested parties they won't invest the time to make them. I received the same response from the Ebay seller of the power steering pulley, not enough demand equals no manufacturing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-PULL...m4838049d51:m:mlpqC6_FJg0Vko9xuURUb5g&vxp=mtr

93seaswirl

Cadet
Thanks guys, sorry for the delayed response been busy at work lol and spitanddirt is the part number from cvfracing close to the original sizes that came on the 302 ? and

93seaswirl

Cadet
And the original crank pulley had three slots instead of two, will that create a problem with having this kit with two slots and the belts being closer together ?