Aluminum boats with flotation, any US manufacturers?

Speaker

Cadet
I've been researching aluminum boats with built in air chambers made in New Zealand. There are many manufacturers of these type of boat there such as Osprey, Stabicraft, Frewza, Bar Crusher, and others.

Are there any US manufacturers of this type of craft? I haven't been able to find any in my searches.

Thanks!

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Aluminum boats with flotation, any US manufacturers?

Hi Speaker. Many/most manufacturers of aluminum boats in the US use closed-cell foam flotation of some kind, rather than an empty "air-pocket" design you're describing. Often times the foam is installed under bench seats, the deck and/or in special designed compartments in the rear corners of the boat. You want/need foam, or a nonabsorbent material of some sort to crowd out any water that may find its way into the chambers, which WILL happen eventually, given enough time. Without foam, water would simply accumulate in the chambers, become trapped, and eventually sink the boat. Bare in mind, that unless you have an entirely foam filled hull such as Boston Whaler, or similar design, the flotation is only designed to keep the vessel from becoming completely submerged should it take on water. It will, however, still sink to just and inch or so above the waterline allowing it to still be bailed out eventually. While most vintage boats were not required to have flotation foam, I believe all modern vessels made in the US are required to have a certain minimum amount. Do a search here in the forums and you'll find all kind of clever flotation solutions ranging from pink/blue insulation board to, sealed plastic bottles placed below decks.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Aluminum boats with flotation, any US manufacturers?

Flotation is only required for Boat under 20 ft in length. See 33 C.F.R. PART 183 Sections F,G and H.
If you are looking at boats 20 ft. or over, they are approved, and can be expected, to sink to the bottom.

Flotation is only going to keep it off the bottom and give you something to hold on to until help arrives when the boat swamps.

Air chambers are problematic in that they must remain absolutely air tight over the years. Any small air leak will make them useless.
Foam just has to be there. if the bottom of the foamed area is open, any water that gets in can eventually get back out.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral