aluminum boat striping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandit

Seaman
posted April 21, 2003 10:56 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />OK i have a a 16ft alum boat. i want to strip the paint off the hull. it has 1 layer of spray paint and 1 layer of what looks like powder coat. maybe ?don't look like reg paint.should i use a liquid striper sand it or i have a power washer that i can sand water blast. (runs a sand water mix) planning on painting it with etching primer and some kind of car type paint does this sound like it would work? thanks for any help.

NathanY

Commander
Re: aluminum boat striping

I used the aerosol stripper on mine. You can get it at WalMart for 3 bux a can. I put it on there, let it sit while I drove to the carwash, and washed it off. Dont get it on your skin though, will leave a severe burn.

tomkat98

Recruit

I want to remove all the pin striping on my 22' Lowe deck boat and redo it. Any suggestions on the easiest way to remove the pin striping?
Tom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most is decal, an heat gun to soften, and scrap with plastic putty knife.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If there is no aerosol paint stripper to be had in your area, due to the greenies or other concerns, pick up a can or two of plain old EZ off oven cleaner. Accomplishes the same thing, and use it the same way...very carefully, protect yourself...also a good degreaser.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

If the paint that's on the hull now isn't peeling,+ falling off,...
WHY Strip it,..???..

Sand it smooth, prime it, resand it,+ Top coat it....

You'll be saving needless sanding, stripping,+ the money involved with repriming the bare aluminum...

giantmonkey

Cadet

autobody shops have special die grinder erasers for pin stripe removal. the 'eraser' type material heats the adhesive with friction and rolls the striping off. it does not burn the paint under the stripe and leaves no residue. however, you will be able to see how much your paint has faded as the pin stripe has 'protected' the areas that were covered.
you are lookin' at $20-$60 (depending on size of stripes/graphics)to have a small boat unstriped without having to wear and ruin your wife's dish gloves.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Please look at the thread dates giantmonkey. This is a very active forum so there's no need to dig up many year old threads. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.