AlumaCraft Oar Info Needed

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1956 Deep C was missing it's oars when I purchased it. I believe they were originally aluminum. My questions are. How long should they be? The internet recipe seems to point toward 9' for a boat 15'x5'. I can't store oars that long in the original oar holders. 6' to maybe 7' at the most if flexed when put in storage. I'm probably buying the typical wood type due to not finding originals.

I also purchased some oar locks with the pin that goes through the oar to keep them in place at all times. Before I drill to install I was wondering how big a gap should be between the oar grips when mounting? I searched this question as well but found no definitive answer.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: AlumaCraft Oar Info Needed

My 13' Whaler has 7 footers. I have about 6 inches between the oars, but that is a personal preference. Some overlap their grip. If you use the clamp type you can adjust to what you like.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

google "oar length formula" ;)

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. Looks like 9' + by the formula. Boat nicely stores 6' in the factory holders. Might get 7' if I really flex them. So I guess if I want to use the factory holders for storage the formula is out the window.