AlumaCraft 14' V-Bottom Fishing Boat...What Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been There

Cadet
This is my first post here. I just bought a old AlumaCraft 14' aluminum V-Bottom for $150.00. The trailer under it is something to be desired, or someone knew how to make a homemade boat trailer.
Anyway, here's my reason to come here and ask some question.
The number that is stenciled into the transom brace is KAZ508921008. Anyone know the Model and year this was made?

The dealer that sold me the boat listed is as a 1970 year model. But, I think it may be older than that.

If you need pictures, I can supply some for viewing.

Thanks,

Fred

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, BT.

The HIN beginning with KAZ is showing it was issued by Kansas, not by Aluma Craft. My boat HIN begins with GAZ from Georgia because DNR told me I could wait years to register using the original serial number with no state paperwork from the seller. Issuing the state HIN made the most sense.

What I'm saying is your search continues to ID the year and model. We have some Aluma Craft owners here that may be able to help ID her with pictures.. In the meantime, take a look at Fiberglassics. You may find what you're looking for in the old sales brochures. http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Aluma_craft

Been There

Cadet
I'm thinking you may be referring to the Hull Numbers that Kansas makes boat owner show those number decals on the front two sides of the boat.

The number I listed KAZ508921008 is stenciled in the metal transom knee brace, and I'm sure no state would have that sort equipment nor the owner is doing so.

GA_Boater

GA_Boater

https://www.marinetitle.com/aspnet/hinum.aspx?hinum=KAZ508921008

This is something that I have located, but, it is for boats manufactured after Nov. 1, 1972.

From all the searches, I've determine there where no regulations before Nov. 1, 1972 regarding boats for HIN or Serial Numbers.

You are correct. However some states require a HIN for registration regardless of when the boat was manufactured. The state issued HIN accommodates this and homemade boats.

Your state issued HIN will provide you with absolutely no information about the make or year.

BTW - HIN is like the VIN on a car and the registration numbers on the bow are the equivalent of the car license plate. HIN/VIN are used for ownership and the registration/license plates are for operation.

Been There

Cadet
Got a few items taken care of today...due to it being warn here.. I removed the boat from the trailer. Surprising, this was much easier than I figured. If I was guessing I would say the 14' aluminum boat might weigh about 169 pounds...give or take a few. The trailer doesn't have a manufacturer name or plate anywhere I can find. It's been painted that infamous camouflage design by someone. So, I would assume some owner had the Aluma Craft and found a trailer and added it all to make a boat rig. The trailer is a "tilt version" and some make the trailer sure didn't take safety in mind. I'm going to re-design the trailer to make it a solid one and add 13" tires and wheels. Also, a better bow winch version with the 2" webbing strap instead of a rope. Will take some pictures as I go forward.

BTW: Back to the Serial No. or HIN as it may be known. I found another location where this KAZ508921008 is on the boat. It is also stamped into the rib cross member under the front seat.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
There should be stamped numbers/letters on the center knee brace, @ 1/8th in sonya really gotta look.

Miine had them, and w that info and length/width Alumacraft ID'd the boat model and basic range of years. Plus sent me a good quality pdf of the brochure showing the boat.

Alumacraft is 1 of the very few (only?) that has records back to the 40s and 50s about their boats AND is willing to be helpful to vintage boat owners they arent likely to ever sell a boat to....

Impressive, IMO.

Send Alumacraft a message and ask about your boat:
http://www.alumacraft.com/About-Alumacraft.php?content=contact_us

Been There

Cadet
There should be stamped numbers/letters on the center knee brace, @ 1/8th in sonya really gotta look.

Miine had them, and w that info and length/width Alumacraft ID'd the boat model and basic range of years. Plus sent me a good quality pdf of the brochure showing the boat.

Alumacraft is 1 of the very few (only?) that has records back to the 40s and 50s about their boats AND is willing to be helpful to vintage boat owners they arent likely to ever sell a boat to....

Impressive, IMO.

Send Alumacraft a message and ask about your boat:
http://www.alumacraft.com/About-Alumacraft.php?content=contact_us

As I mentioned in another post above, the transom knee brace (center) had the same numbers..KAZ508921009

GA_Boater

As I mentioned in another post above, the transom knee brace (center) had the same numbers..KAZ508921009

Those numbers KAZ were stamped after the HIN was assigned and not by Aluma Craft.

Right from the Coast Guard, Aluma Craft HIN's begin with ACB.

alchin.png

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look again, the #s you need are very small and hard to find/see.

If its pre-1972, it has the #s, you just need to find them. Or at least it did have them...

Look on the upper most flat part of the knee brace, not 1 of the ribs.

Been There

Cadet
Look again, the #s you need are very small and hard to find/see.

If its pre-1972, it has the #s, you just need to find them. Or at least it did have them...

Look on the upper most flat part of the knee brace, not 1 of the ribs.

I have to differ from your suggestions. The number on the "rib brace" is a metal tag...and it is riveted on like the VIN number on a automobile. The same number is die stamped into the "top flange" on the transom knee brace, and in very small size numbers. That riveted tag on the rib brace was put there before the flotation seat was installed, as you have to get in the boat and lay on the seat and peak under the seat to see the riveted tab. Now, find me a state employee that would do that just to put what some here say is a HIN number. No Way!

Also, I don't see any State Boat Registration Agency person carrying around a special rivet gun and metal boat tags to and special metal dies to stamp number into boats.

I'm positive these two number locations was done at the Aluma Craft factory in Minnesota long before it reached some state dealer., like a Kansas one. Dealers don't do it nor any half paid state employee.

jbcurt00

Staff member
They stamped over the #s in question then and obliterated the serial # you'd need to give Alumacraft, again I am 100% positive Alumacraft stamped a ser# on the knee brace. Take a green scouring pad to the top flat edge of it, transom to hull bottom, perhaps the #s are hidden by paint drips, dirt or whatever.

KAZ is a state issued #, as noted by GA above

as your user name suggests, I've BTDT, more then once and helped many people figure out old Alumacrafts the way I described, w the # you cant find/see/read.

A well intentioned owner may have deliberately obliterated the Ser# to avoid confusion when the KAZ # was issued.

Alumacraft built some boat models for decades, so determining an exact year is often impossible, even w the correct Ser#, which is why I got a range of years for mine.

As I suggested, send Alumacraft a message and ask them, but I'd bet heavily that they didnt stamp a KAZ # into your boat

State issued HIN tags come as a set of 2. 1 should have been riveted on the top right corner of the exterior transom (which is where they are required to be after 1972) and the other is suggested to be put in a place not likely to been seen unless you go looking for it. Hidden if you will, in case its stolen, a lazy theft might not find and remove it. Both HIN plates are also supposed to be installed permanently, so its obvious if they are removed. IE: w rivets not screws.

So it is HIGHLY likely an owner hand stamped the letters into the knee brace (I have used Harborfreight stamps on more then 1 of my aluminum boats) and then hid the other metal plate under a seat. A swizel head rivet gun can get into some tight spaces, I have used my swivel head to do weird location stuff.

Is the KAZ# on the transom too?

Pix always help too

Did you look thru the FG library GA linked. Not too hard to compare dimensions of what you have to specs and pix posted there to narrow down a model and or range of years.

Not sure what else to suggest, at this point you've gotten lots of good info, from more then 1 source...... sorta feels like :deadhorse:

good luck w your hunt

Been There

Cadet
First thing here. The picture below isn't the boat I purchase. However, my boat looks the same..as this one...The same rear Transom plate.

1c8USVM.jpg

I found this old photo of a Aluma Craft fishing boat. My boat appears to be the same as this one... Same decal and seats layout.

e8PZclO.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Does it seem a bit narrow for its length?

the 1st pix doesnt give enough perspective, but the blk&wht pix makes it look narrow. 36-42in maybe. My 1992 12ft Sylvan Semi-v is 48in wide, but at only 12ft, it "seems" wider then that and is definitely wider then the early 60s SeaNymph 12ft I sold when I got the Sylvan.

most newer 14ft semi-v's are wider to make them more stable

If narrow, no doubt to me that its pre 1972.... so no factory HIN, just a Ser#, located as I described

KAZ# definitely applied after boat was built, long after...

since you added blk&wht pix to prior post, I deleted the dup pix post.

GA_Boater

Did you get any state paperwork? One of the things I got from the state was a letter stating the my HIN was issued by Georgia so there would be no legal issues if or when the boat is sold. Kansas may do the same.

Why don't you believe us? Will you believe the state of Kansas?

Your boat has a Kansas issued HIN, "KAZ", serial number is "50892" and the Month/year of issue is October 2008 "1008" as defined in the first paragraph below.

From the state of Kansas;

32-1117. Handmade vessels; assignment of number and issuance of decals; display; fee. (a) Whenever the secretary assigns a hull identification number to a handmade vessel, the hull identification number shall consist of two letters designating the state followed by the letter ‘‘Z’’; the next five characters shall be an identifying serial number and the last four characters shall indicate the month and year of the vessel certificate of ownership issuance.

(b) The registered owner of a handmade vessel for which a hull identification number has been assigned shall carve, burn, stamp, emboss or otherwise permanently affix the assigned number to the outboard side of the starboard side of the transom or, if there is no transom, to the outermost starboard side at the end of the hull that bears the rudder or other steering mechanism and above the waterline of the vessel in such a way that alteration, removal, or replacement would be evident. The number must be at least 1⁄4 inch in height.

(c) The secretary shall issue a decal which indicates the assigned hull identification number to be affixed to each vessel which has been assigned under this section. The decal shall be affixed no more than two inches below the location of the hull identification number placed pursuant to the provisions in subsection (b). Such decal, as well as a duplicate decal placed in an unexposed portion of the interior of the vessel, shall be affixed by the department.

(d) It shall be unlawful to remove, alter or deface a decal or duplicate decal which has been issued for or affixed to a vessel pursuant to the provisions of subsection (c), or to affix or otherwise display such a decal or duplicate decal on any vessel other than the vessel for which the hull identification number was assigned, without first having obtained the written permission by the department.

(e) A hull identification inspection fee of $10 shall be assessed to the owner of a vessel requesting a hull identification number pursuant to this section.

History: L. 2006, ch. 85, sec. 10; Jan. 1, 2007.

Been There

Cadet
By the way, I don't live in Kansas, I live in northeast Oklahoma...Grand Lake.

Today, I began to remove the old paint from the trailer... and found a 2" x 4" aluminum tag/decal on the inside of the trailer tongue.. Just glued on. It reads. Moody Mfg. Inc. Maben, Mississippi. Model No. 117 16. Serial No. SS9857. Mfg. 1957.

The boat as a beam of 44" and 14.5" length.

The dealer just gave me a Bill of Sales. He had no titles of paper work.

Last edited:

Been There

Cadet
Here is a picture of the Aluma Craft 14". I have search the Internet for vintage Aluma Craft boat pictures and come with this.
I think the boat I bought just might be a 1950 years model, not a 1970. Some pictures I've found on 1960 and later didn't have the "paddle holders" on the inside like the ones on my boat. So, if this is true, when did Aluma Craft discontinued these holder?

tmFl8tM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.