Alum or SS prop for 24' pontoon

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
I recently posted a question in the pontoon section regarding prop selection and was advised to post in the prop section for better results:

We recently acquired a Sun Tracker 24' pontoon boat. Very nice condition as the PO really cared for it.....or seemed to.

The engine is a Mercury efi 90 hp which replaced the 40 hp it was originally equipped with. The boat scoots along nicely at (I'm guessing) a moderate 20-25 mph. My only concern is this is my first outboard (besides an old rowboat), and to see the engine cruising at 5000-5100 rpm seems excessive. WOT is about 6100 and seems to do this effortlessly too.

The OEM aluminum 13 pitch prop is in decent condition over all. Not beat from continually hitting objects and dirt, but does have a small ding and scrape on one of the blade edges from obviously hitting something. I thought that maybe I'd replace the OEM aluminum prop with a stainless 15 pitch to see if I can bring the cruise rpm down around 1000 rpm and possibly achieve WOT at around 5800-6000. Someone already mentioned that SS will add more weight to the prop which will cause more wear and tear on the lower unit during shifting, and cause potential damage to the lower unit if the prop ever hits something. I didnt think of the weight.....

Again, this is all kinda new to me so I'm here to learn if anyone has any experience and suggestions in doing such prop swaps on a pontoon boat of similar size and caliber. Also worth noting is I'm not trying to turn this pontoon boat into a "performance" boat either but merely just looking for maximum efficiency from the motor and cruise speeds. Thank you and look forward to reading threads looking for information.

Maclin

Admiral
The best prop pitch is one that allows the engine to rev freely at WOT with normal loading to at or just below the top of the recommended RPM range. If you try to go higher pitch than that trying to lower the cruising RPM then the engine will be lugging, and that can lead to internal component overheat and engine damage. If you can over-rev now by more than 200 rpm easily loaded then try the next higher pitch.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to know exact factory stated min-max rpm range for that OB. Are all those mentioned rpm achieved while using a tach ?

Happy Boating

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
I talked to Mercury and the factory stated full throttle rpm's are 5-6k. But that said, my readings are coming from the pontoon boat tachometer which I'm only guessing is accurate. Not sure how inaccurate those gauges can be.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The dash gauges are a suggestion. Get a diagnostic tach to verify

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If toons's OB is achieving 5800-6000 wot revs as usually loaded and tach is found in excelent working order, OB is very near of max wot range which is perfect. If dings, small issues on current 11 prop upsets you, go for a new alum prop with same diam and pitch. Use the old one as replacement or paperweight.

Happy Boating